Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 12:36 AM

Default A high content post

Bodog 10K Guaranteed final table. We are playing 6 handed and have been for some time. Stack sizes range from 14K to 44K with the blinds at 1/2. The payouts are 3K/2K/1200/800/650/500 and if I get below third I'll be pissed.

Two folds and the 44K stack, who's been a little aggressive, raises to 6500 from the cutoff. The guy behind him with 21K, who is a little weak/tight but not horrible, cold calls. I have tens in the big blind with 34K, hear the alarm go off and just call. (Who pushes here?) 3 to the flop for ~20,000.

The flop is JJ3, rainbow. I check. The big stack thinks and bets 4,860, leaving himself exactly 33,000. The short stack behind him thinks for a very long time and calls off 1/3 of what he has left.

I think for enough time to run down and push. Comments?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: A high content post

Good push, because you need this pot and they will only call you with a Jack. Overpairs are gonna fold in this spot. Also, weak/tightie doesnt seem to have a jack because of his "online tell"
Old 06-23-2005, 12:50 AM

I really like this hand, real interesting. I think pushing preflop has some merit, big stack isnt going to call wihtout a very big hand i think he folds AK some % of time, weak/tight pushes with the 4 overpairs to you i would think, big stack likes his chip stack too much to make a call here, theres great overlay from the pot and if you do get called and win you have a really ginormous stack, all in all i push pre.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:53 AM

if you will be pissed about placing lower than third, then what the hell are you doing trying to make a move at a multiway pot in which you have no idea where you stand? if you are playing for first, i love it as the big stacks bet looks like he is willing to get away from his hand, and the weak tightey is just doing what comes naturally (furthermore if he really is that weak tight he wont call when it comes around to him and he is getting ~4:1). but considering your goals for this tournament it is just too risky for me.

edit: i push preflop btw.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you will be pissed about placing lower than third,

[/ QUOTE ] I'm playing for first, figure of speech anyone? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2005, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good push, because you need this pot and they will only call you with a Jack. Overpairs are gonna fold in this spot. Also, weak/tightie doesnt seem to have a jack because of his "online tell"

[/ QUOTE ]

In a 10K guarenteed, AA, KK and QQ are very capable of calling here. I like your line it shows your playing to win this thing.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you will be pissed about placing lower than third,

[/ QUOTE ] I'm playing for first, figure of speech anyone? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

my type of play then...high risk, high reward.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:15 AM

Lately, I've messed up multiple times when my warning bells go off preflop. I end up seeing the flop and it's a nice flop for my hand, I sort of forget about the warning and get wtfpwned. Not sure if that's relevant here or not, it's just something I've done too much lately.

[ QUOTE ]
The flop is JJ3, rainbow. I check. The big stack thinks and bets 4,860, leaving himself exactly 33,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen you note this betting behavior multiple times before. What exactly is your thought/read here? That he is more concerned with how his stack will look once this bet is put in than he is about the hand?

[ QUOTE ]
The short stack behind him thinks for a very long time and calls off 1/3 of what he has left.

[/ QUOTE ]

Feels enough like AK that you are less worried about a monster?

[ QUOTE ]
I think for enough time to run down and push. Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense to me. I'm not too worried about the big stack having us beat here, and I'm less worried about the weak tightie than I was before - and we have him covered. Let's push.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen you note this betting behavior multiple times before. What exactly is your thought/read here? That he is more concerned with how his stack will look once this bet is put in than he is about the hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes
Old 06-23-2005, 10:32 AM

Ugh. I think I would fold, but I'd hate doing it.
Shorty has to know he's playing for his entire stack here so his range is pretty limited IMO. Any pair he has that you have beat has to raise that flop to shut out big stack's overcards.

I can't see him having anything but AA/KK/AK. He's not dumping AA/KK after his master plan of limping PF "worked". If he has AK I think he folds the flop a good % of the time given your read, and I don't think AK calls off 1/3 of his stack PF anyway.

Given all that and the fact that big stack may actually have a hand (this flop is bone dry so there's nothing terribly wrong with the severe underbet) I would fold.

Yuck. I even hated typing that...