Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 05:21 AM

Default Re: A 1 bet river fold, 30/60

[ QUOTE ]
that's an awful laydown. button can have 98 or A9 way too often to make that laydown sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Way too often? You are definitely jumping the gun here.
-James
Old 03-15-2005, 05:35 AM

My only question is, why would you lead the river if you're planning on folding to a raise, rather than check/call?
Old 03-15-2005, 05:40 AM

OK I'm not one for monster laydowns for one bet on the river, especially on the internet. But agaist a pro, who knows you are pro, you may as well take the sixty bucks and light it on fire IMO. To argue whether or not the button would raise AK for value here is absurd. If I were the button I would not give a second thought to even calling the river with AK, if I somehow got there in the first place. The only legitimate hand you beat on the river is A9. You have the bottom set. A solid postflop player is not gonna cap a good pro on the turn, and then raise the river with that board when the flush gets there with top two pair. Agaist a different kind of opponent its a real easy call, but if your player info is correct I think its a fold. If it is a mistake, it certainly isnt as big of a mistake as others are making it out to be.

BTW I'm not sure thats the best way to play that flop.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:48 AM

ONE question I have. What about the concept that in a big pot you should do anything you can to win it? Could your opponent be tossing out one more BB, raising rather than calling, knowing you can't realistically raise back without a flush? Are the chances you have 77 or 88 and will fold (as the pro vs. pro analysis suggests you would) enough to make him kick it out? $60 extra in exchange for at least 5% folding equity from you would be +EV. Just a thought. By the way I don't think that's what happened here, but I'm starting to think about this concept a little more at the higher limits. 21.5BB is a massive pot.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My only question is, why would you lead the river if you're planning on folding to a raise, rather than check/call?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't lead the river, the BB bet all in, the converter messedit up.
-James
Old 03-15-2005, 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK I'm not one for monster laydowns for one bet on the river, especially on the internet. But agaist a pro, who knows you are pro, you may as well take the sixty bucks and light it on fire IMO. To argue whether or not the button would raise AK for value here is absurd. If I were the button I would not give a second thought to even calling the river with AK, if I somehow got there in the first place. The only legitimate hand you beat on the river is A9. You have the bottom set. A solid postflop player is not gonna cap a good pro on the turn, and then raise the river with that board when the flush gets there with top two pair. Agaist a different kind of opponent its a real easy call, but if your player info is correct I think its a fold. If it is a mistake, it certainly isnt as big of a mistake as others are making it out to be.

BTW I'm not sure thats the best way to play that flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice response, it probably isn't the best way to play the flop. Natural reaction would have me reraising once I've been raised. For some reason, at the time, I was inclined not to. I concede that that street was not played optimally.
-James
Old 03-15-2005, 05:54 AM

OK, so the BB is all-in, there's a side pot, so he basically has to have a flush to bet this river. Understood.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:52 AM

I dont get the turn cap, looks like he got straiht or higher set. A pair and a straight draw is great time for him to just call your raise not 3 bet it.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont get the turn cap, looks like he got straiht or higher set. A pair and a straight draw is great time for him to just call your raise not 3 bet it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think just calling the turn was a pretty reasonable option. Seems close to me.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:58 AM

Good laydown with BB in the hand, otherwise it should have been awful of course.