Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2004, 10:18 AM

Default Re: ABSOLUTE WORST BAD BEAT ON TOP OF A BAD BEAT?

As well, I believe your odds are incorrect. The odds of flopping quads with one card in your hand are about 9700:1. Multiply that by the odds of hitting running aces?
Old 11-22-2004, 12:51 PM

Given a pair up against two undercards, I think the odds of flopping quads on one of the undercards followed by quads on the pair is one in 8,561,520. There are 12 combinations for the undercards (6 ways times the two cards) and there are two combinations for the turn and the river to match the pair. There are 205,476,480 possible flop combinations out of the remaining 48 unknown cards.

If you want to specify the lower of the two undercards is what flops quads, that would happen one time in approximately 17 million times you have this set up (overpair versus two undercards.)
Old 11-22-2004, 07:20 PM

I play poker very frequently, and I've never witnessed the runner-runner-perfect scenario. I think you're downplaying the scenario slightly.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:54 PM

The fact is - before the flop AA was way ahead. It's a 7 card game and he ended up winning the hand. So what's the big deal? Just because it was so dramatic doesn't mean that the guy wasn't a huge favorite to start with.

This is not a bad beat. When someone catches a 1 outer gutshot to make a straight flush when you've flopped quads - now that's a bad beat.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:06 AM

This person caught a runner runner 2/1 out scenario after the jacks were ahead. Sure, consdering preflop its technically not a bad beat, but the way the hand progressed and the way the lead changed I think it's pretty brutal.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:30 AM

That sucks but it would suck way worse in a live 2-4 game with a $40,000 or so jackpot as this hand would not even qualify.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:57 AM

Default phixxx

Phixxx,

Don't listen to the bitter pricks who are saying things like "duh...geee...AA is a favorite..and it won..so it wasn't a bad beat. See how cool I am? I'm disagreeing with someone! Look at me, I'm capable of being a disagreeable jerkoff--isn't that special?" or "duh...geee...perfect-perfect happens all the time!"

That was a pretty damn remarkable hand. What's wrong with you killjoys?
Old 11-23-2004, 03:03 AM

Default Re: phixxx

Thank you antelope. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Yeah, that would be horrible. Only one card used in his hand [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2004, 08:50 AM

Gotta agree, that was an amazing hand. If I was the guy who flopped the quad jacks, I'd feel like crap.

This happened to me last night in a low-limit game: I limp in UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. It's a loose game, so there will be plenty of action and time to raise later if I hit the flop. Other times I'll raise with big slick in early position. Depends on the game. MP raises and 4 or 5 players call.

Flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Ahhh...top two pair! I bet out. 3 or 4 call.

Turn is A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I bet. MP pre-flop-raiser raises, I re-raise, MP caps, everyone else folds.

River is the J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I bet, MP raises, I think about 10 seconds...."ya can't play scared" (monsters under the bed syndrome) so I re-raise. MP caps and turns over Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for the royal beating my AAAKK. I just smiled, congratulated him for his royal and sulked for half an hour. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] Thank God it was only a $1/$2 game or else I would've lost a lot of money.

Now, was this a bad beat cause he pulled perfect-perfect to beat me? Or just another hand since I was the dog before the flop anyhow?
Old 11-23-2004, 12:28 PM

you deserved to lose for how badly you played that hand.