Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 04:32 PM

Default A hand I sweated - QTo

I was watching my friend play 2 tables and talking to him about the hands after showdown.

Background: A few hands ago SB bet an open-ended draw into my friend when he had a set. He bet/called the flop, bet/3-bet the turn when he made his straight, and bet/3-bet the river when my friend filled up. He's been playing about 35% of his hands. UTG is loose and passive and hasn't done anything noteworthy.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: My friend is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, My friend checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">My friend raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, My friend calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (8 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets...</font>

How has my friend done so far and what should his plan be for the rest of this hand?
Old 08-16-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: A hand I sweated - QTo

Are there four players on the turn or only 3? I only see the SB, BB(hero), and UTG.

I think you have to raise the turn. You want to try to get UTG out of the hand. UTG could have called preflop with something like 78 or complete trash. Don't give anyone credit for the straight just yet.

If the SB 3-bets I think you should just call it down. It looks a lot like a straight but he could just be going nuts with something like Q9.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:59 PM

I am just beginning on 2+2 but here is my take:

By my count there are three players on the turn, and I think the SB would checkraise the flop if he already had the straight. So I think he is either bluffing and feels "obligated" to bet the turn because he three-bet the flop, or perhaps he has a set and does not want to give a free card. I would raise to try to fold out the third player, and see if I can get it checked to me on the river for a free card if I do not improve. If I am re-reaised I will call down. Then again, I am probably too loose.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:01 PM

tough spot, i think. 9BB to you, and 1 left to act. SB's flop 3 bet seems to say made hand, not draw. i thought about capping the flop, but don't think it does much besides bloat the pot. What's disturbing is the coldcaller is yet to act. I think i call here, and hope UTG continues to just call- at pp .5/1 this doesn't seem unreasonable. I'll take the 10:1 (assuming overcall) on what may possibly be a four outer. If its 2 back to me I can muck.

Raising here is not folding better hands, and its just opening me up to pay through the nose when i'm behind. villain appears laggy, but this is a tough board to love top two on, and the only hand we know of he was aggressive but not maniacal.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:47 PM

What hands do you guys put UTG on that you need to get him out of the pot on the turn?
Old 08-16-2005, 05:54 PM

that queen makes me think we're behind. i'm calling one bet and trying to fill up on the river.