Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 02:44 AM

Default K3 suited, big blind, on the flop

This is a situation I am not sure if I handled correctly. Let me know guys. Also, sorry, but I'm readless on this one.

Hero has Kh3h on BB.

UTG limps, UTG+1 limps, MP2 raises, MP3 calls, LP calls, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls, limpers call.

Pot is seven handed with 7.25 big bets going to flop.

Flop: 2d Jd Ks

Hero bets, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, LP folds, Button calls.

Turn: 2c

Hero checks, it is checked to MP3 who bets, button calls Hero folds...

Basically I have to see this flop with a suited king at the discount. Obviously I am not looking to play a top pair, terrible kicker, but at the same time I couldn't bring myself to check fold top pair.

I bet flop to see where I stood, and because I had top pair. The fact that no hearts came on the flop and I had no BD flush draw has me thinking that check/fold would have been more appropriate. I must say the check fold on the turn was very easy for me, and I am convinced that is correct.

What are your thoughts for these types of situations?
Old 07-29-2005, 02:53 AM

Default Re: K3 suited, big blind, on the flop

I usually bet out here on the flop as you could have the best hand at this point with top-pair. If you get raised, I think I would call one to see if I improve on the turn and if I don't, it's check/fold.

You didn't get raised and the turn should be a good card for you, assuming no one has a two. I would lead the turn, hoping to get more players to drop and then see what the river brings. I'm folding to any raise.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a situation I am not sure if I handled correctly. Let me know guys. Also, sorry, but I'm readless on this one.

Hero has Kh3h on BB.

UTG limps, UTG+1 limps, MP2 raises, MP3 calls, LP calls, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls, limpers call.

Pot is seven handed with 7.25 big bets going to flop.

Flop: 2d Jd Ks

Hero bets, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, LP folds, Button calls.

Turn: 2c

Hero checks, it is checked to MP3 who bets, button calls Hero folds...

Basically I have to see this flop with a suited king at the discount. Obviously I am not looking to play a top pair, terrible kicker, but at the same time I couldn't bring myself to check fold top pair.

I bet flop to see where I stood, and because I had top pair. The fact that no hearts came on the flop and I had no BD flush draw has me thinking that check/fold would have been more appropriate. I must say the check fold on the turn was very easy for me, and I am convinced that is correct.

What are your thoughts for these types of situations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you check-fold the turn here? I would of lead out. The 2 is a pretty good card here IMO. With the board pairing, your kicker has no impact now because you will not use it and it is doubtful that anyone has a 2 hear since they most likely would of already been weeded out, but you would be behind AK and KQ because of their kickers. Well those are my thoughts anyhow.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:13 AM

Lead the turn. Best not to stop til someone tells you you're beat.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:25 AM

i think that turn fold is very weak, there is no indication that you are beat yet, id bet the turn again, then probly check-call the river
Old 07-29-2005, 07:19 AM

Why lead out on the flop if u are going to check/fold the turn?????? With the two hitting the turn, nothing has changed. If you are ahead, you're still ahead.

You get called on the flop, not raised, and you check/fold the turn. Sounds like a plan.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:54 AM

I'm not betting out very often with TPNK in a PF raised pot against 5 opponents. I like to check, watch the action behind me and make a decision when it's back around to me. Sometimes it's a check/fold sometimes it's a check/raise.

I don't hate betting out - and will do that sometimes as well. This is good especially with a donkish, aggressive player on my immediate left - who will do something stupid like face the field with 2-cold with a 4-flush.

As everyone else has said - bet the turn. The deuce us probably the second best card (after a 3) that could've hit the turn.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:59 AM

Bet the turn.
Especially with the turn being a 2. You'd have more of an argument for getting away from the hand if it was something like a 6.

What are you behind to?
KQ. A very poorly played AK. A slowplayed set, which you will hear from on the turn.

MP3 could have AJ and it looks like the button has two diamonds or an QT.

Bet the turn and fold to a raise.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:24 AM

This fold is very bad.

Your hand on the turn is K-K-J-2-2. That's enough to continue betting, never mind check folding.

You say you bet the flop to see where you stood. All your opponents only called. That should tell you something right there. The turn card only improves your hand.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:37 AM

I am fully convinced. I played this one poorly. I think I was still worried about my kicker, but neglected to really think about it as only an A or Q was going to play at this point. I think MP3 showed down K9 or something like that. Weak play, definitely. That's why I posted it.