Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Elementary Laggy Question

I have a lot of difficulty playing against Laggys that open raise 4XBB in EP with holdings like 76s and 66. I can't put them on a hand and their aggressive style constantly puts me on a decision. I was always taught Taggy was the most successful style but Laggys make me wonder. I'm strictly an online player and could use some advice.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Elementary Laggy Question

I'm a Taggy playing myself, and I've found that folding the marginal situations, like calling raises with ATs, just fold. But on the flop side, when you have the lead, like AQo, don't just call to see a flop, reraise them. And NEVER trap them with AA or KK, just make them pay, then if you find they fold to your pf reraises, do it periodically with 68o, etc.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:38 PM

Please dont use Laggy..and DEF not Taggy...they rhyme with Faggy.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please dont use Laggy..and DEF not Taggy...they rhyme with Faggy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn that's funny - lol [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 03:43 PM

You have to get more balls and start playing back at them - Even with less than premium hands. Sometimes I play LAG and I hate it when people play back at me because it's often not worth it to get involved - make sure to play back at them for amounts that matter - not just minraise type crap.

The key is to figure out if he's LAG and good, or LAG and bad - big difference.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:54 PM

Lap is exactly right. The key to defeating super LAGs, especially thinking ones in SH games, is to play back at them regularly, for all your chips if necessary. This is far easier than putting pressure on yourself to make heroic calls on the turn and the river with middle pair, etc. It makes the game high variance for both of you but otherwise you get run over.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:02 PM

Ok, this is my take on it. I have always been a LAG, and have gotten better at it, to the point where i think im decent at being a LAG, and nothing..nothing pisses me off more than some1 who has position on me, and keeps raising my pf limp/opens, uggh.
Some1 who doesnt mind variance, doesnt mind pushing small edges, some1 who is as aggro as me, thats the one person i dont wanna ever play with. There's 1 guy like this that is a regular at my game..and he is the only one i ahve trouble running over.
You have to be willing to gambool with LAG's..thats all there really is to it. If its a LAG worth his salt ur not gonna put him on a hand that easy..but u might catch him bluffing..or u might make him fold better hands.
U cant sit around and wait for Aces against a good lag..hell just muck, or outplay u.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:04 PM

First things first. If you can, sit on their left.

Secondly, start re-raising them PF when you want to play a hand against them. Do this with premium hands as well as average->bad hands. Don't do it every time, or they'll lose respect for them and start playing back even harder. (Although, this could be a good thing)

After the flop, be more inclined to take free cards and use pot control with marginal hands, and bet your big hands strongly, hoping they'll make a move.

LAGgy play works best when players are weak-tight and/or passive. It loosens up the table and makes these kinds of players very uncomfortable.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:25 PM

The Turn. This is the street where you should be able to narrow down their hand range very well. Lately, I feel like this is the number one street to figure out what people have and how much they like their hand.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a lot of difficulty playing against Laggys that open raise 4XBB in EP with holdings like 76s and 66. I can't put them on a hand and their aggressive style constantly puts me on a decision. I was always taught Taggy was the most successful style but Laggys make me wonder. I'm strictly an online player and could use some advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've got position on them, YOU should be the one putting THEM to a decision. Reraise preflop, raise flops.