Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Trickle Up Theory.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet as the only poker book I've read was SSHE, but I think of poker as a "trickle UP" effect.

Opposite from the capitalist economy which is trickle down, in poker, the $$$ trickles "up" to the rich and the rich get richer.

I love poker.

Thoughts?
Old 11-06-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Trickle Up Theory.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet as the only poker book I've read was SSHE, but I think of poker as a "trickle UP" effect.

Opposite from the capitalist economy which is trickle down, in poker, the $$$ trickles "up" to the rich and the rich get richer.

I love poker.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a bizarre view of capitalism.

Other than that, in poker the money doesn't trickle to the people with money but to the people with the ability to play the game.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Other than that, in poker the money doesn't trickle to the people with money but to the people with the ability to play the game <font color="red">better than the ones with all the money</font>.

[/ QUOTE ]

Highjacked your post.

ty

nh
Old 11-06-2005, 09:20 PM

Sure, but in our economy $$$ trickles from the people that know how to make money down to the people who don't. Trickle down.

Example: TO signs new contract, goes out and buys a bunch of benz's and fubu coats... the salesmen that profit from those sales go out and spend that money on shoes/clothes/food, etc. The companies that make profit on those basically pay out to service employees. It all trickles down eventually. The only difference betwen rich and poor is time. A poor person will have today what a rich person had 50 years ago.

In poker, it trickles UP from the people who don't know how to make money (poor players). Up to the people that do (good players).

Guy beats up 5/10 limit and makes a few grand profit, moves up to 10/20 and perhaps donates. He hits a ceiling. People that profit from that guy at 10/20 go up to 20/40 and donate, etc...

Anyway, VIVA POKER!
Old 11-06-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, did you say opposite to a capitalist economy, the rich get richer? I think you're confused.

eastbay
Old 11-06-2005, 10:09 PM

I think you're all confused.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Other than that, in poker the money doesn't trickle to the people with money but to the people with the ability to play the game <font color="red">better than the ones with all the money</font>.

[/ QUOTE ]

Highjacked your post.

ty

nh

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting way of spelling hijacked.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, did you say opposite to a capitalist economy, the rich get richer? I think you're confused.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I maybe misspoke. In each case, the rich get richer. My point was that the opposite is the fact that our economy is trickle down while poker is trickle up. That is the opposite. The rich getting richer wasn't supposed to correlate to "opposite of capitalism".

Sorry. Sorry to all the nits.

Now how bout somebody responds with their thoughts on my "Trickle Up Theory"??

Yay? Nay? Stupid or what? I use it to explain to people who think poker is "all luck".

I tell them that the money trickles up to the skillful players.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A poor person will have today what a rich person had 50 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, not really. Your understanding of economics seems to be non-existent. (Hint: Guess who pays for the tickets that are used to pay TO's salary.)

Here's how American capitalism and poker are different. Playing poker is optional, while you don't have much choice but to participate in our economic system. Moreover, the rules of poker are explicitly given and favor nobody. The rules in our capitalist society are much more complex and nobody knows them all; in addition, some people benefit disproportionately from the rules than the others through no skill or talent of their own. This is not necessarily how capitalism is supposed to be or would be in an ideal world, but it is how the real world works.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:43 PM

Ok, straight to the point:
I think Poker is Trickle Up.
Not sure what Capitalism is, but probably trickle up as well. And I think the richer getting richer is definitely a form of trickling up.

And well said, rasputin.