Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 06:05 PM

Default I want to learn how to fly a plane

Title pretty much says it all. I'm thinking about joining a flight school for fun/hobby/etc, and I'm just curious as to any experiences, potential costs, etc I would be looking at. Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Re: I want to learn how to fly a plane

This should help
Old 11-28-2005, 07:48 PM

I just got my pilot license this month and it has been one of the greatest experiences of my life. I took my dad as my first passenger for a tour over San Francisco and he loved it, (me too). It took about 3 1/2 months and cost a bit more then they quote on the website that was linked above. It was about $4500 for me to complete my training, but the bay area is more expensive than most places.

I would recommend getting the book and studying on your own instead of going to a ground school. I would also recommend taking the knowledge test before starting or very early in your training. Doing both of those will save you money in instruction over the course of your training.

Feel free to ask me any questions about it since it is all still fresh in my head, (and I like to encourage other aspiring pilots).
Old 11-28-2005, 08:52 PM

Just curious, what book are you talking about? Is it the "everything explained" book from that web site? Any other books I should read? Thanks.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just got my pilot license this month and it has been one of the greatest experiences of my life. I took my dad as my first passenger for a tour over San Francisco and he loved it, (me too). It took about 3 1/2 months and cost a bit more then they quote on the website that was linked above. It was about $4500 for me to complete my training, but the bay area is more expensive than most places.

I would recommend getting the book and studying on your own instead of going to a ground school. I would also recommend taking the knowledge test before starting or very early in your training. Doing both of those will save you money in instruction over the course of your training.

Feel free to ask me any questions about it since it is all still fresh in my head, (and I like to encourage other aspiring pilots).

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious: Do you own your own plane? Once you get your license, what opportunities are there to fly if you don't? Can you rent a small plane for a few hours?
Old 11-28-2005, 09:16 PM

Start by putting your plane on a conveyer belt
Old 11-28-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious: Do you own your own plane? Once you get your license, what opportunities are there to fly if you don't? Can you rent a small plane for a few hours?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you can rent small airplanes at a local airports. My dad is a pilot and he would take me up flying when I was little. Just don't go to a large metropolitan airport and expect to get something.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious, what book are you talking about? Is it the "everything explained" book from that web site? Any other books I should read? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there are several you can use to study for the knowledge test. The one I used is Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook. It's pretty good but his "humor" can get annoying after awhile. Another good one is the Jeppesen Private Pilot Manual which is probably more comprehensive but is also a bit pricier.

I would also recommend getting a book that prepares you for the practical part of your flying instruction. Here's the Jeppesen one, and here is the one I used.

Another couple books that are good to have are the knowledge test prep book that has all the questions and answers from the FAA exam, the FAA practical test standards book which has all the manuvers you will be tested on for your practical test, and the oral exam guide.

Also, check eBay for all these items, because you can get them pretty cheap on there usually.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't own my plane but the flying club I belong to has several. Plane rental rates are charged by the Hobbs hour which is calculated using a meter that runs when the engine is running. The club has daily minimums of 2 hours per day but they don't enforce them, meaning you can take a plane for a few days and just pay for the hours you actually fly. Here is their website California Airways
Old 11-29-2005, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Title pretty much says it all. I'm thinking about joining a flight school for fun/hobby/etc, and I'm just curious as to any experiences, potential costs, etc I would be looking at. Thanks for any advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Potential costs? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] My salary jumped by like 80% when I started flight school.