Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 09:42 PM

Default PROPOSAL (this affects you guys, please read): mid- and high- forums

There is a discussion going on in mid-high right now that is very relevant to you guys. It grew out of TStone's open letter to the forum.

The proposal is to rejigger the current split of the limit holdem forums. This directly affects small stakes. Today, the mid-high forum has become mainly a discussion of 30/60 and up. 15/30 and 20/40 hands often get no responses and sometimes get a hostile reaction from the regular posters. The result is that many people, including me, have started posting any hands they have at these limits in small stakes rather than mid-stakes if they post them at all. A few years ago, the situation was very different as 15/30 and 20/40 were almost exclusively posted in mid-high.2

Many have stated that having the small stakes forum try to encompass all limits from 2/4 to 20/40 isn't sensible. Also, many have stated that they have stopped posting 15/30 and 20/40 hands on twoplustwo entirely because these limits no longer have a home.

Thus, the proposal is that rather than having small and mid-high, we would have small, mid and high. The new mid-stakes forum would be for roughly 10/20 through 20/40 limits. The new high forum would be for roughly 30/60 and up, making it very similar to today's midhigh forum. In my opinion, this change will actually have a larger affect on small stakes than on midhigh.

I think that this change would be good for twoplustwo and I think that with this split all three of the forums (I'm ignoring micro-limit in this post since I think they will be relatively unaffected) will get enough to have good discussions and foster a community, but no so much that posts immediately disappear off the front page as can happen on overloaded forums, which is the ideal. I would be very excited to get some lively discussions of 15/30 hands going again and I think the small stakes forum will be stronger with a clearer focus on a manageable set of limits.

Since this change directly affects all of you, I am curious what you guys think.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:44 PM

Default Re: PROPOSAL (this affects you guys, please read): mid- and high- foru

This makes sense. I'd love to see it implemented.

-SmileyEH
Old 11-15-2005, 09:45 PM

Interesting. I think the values of micro/small/mid-high should change instead of making 3 forums 4.

My proposal:

Micro: 2/4 and below

SS: 3/6 to 15/30

Mid-high: 20/40 and up.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:46 PM

Aren't there a lot of 15/30 and 20/40 posts in SS already? Anyway I can't see an extra forum being any good.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:47 PM

So is it planned to merge microlimits into the "small" forum, or will there be four limit ring forums in total: micro, small, mid, and high?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So is it planned to merge microlimits into the "small" forum, or will there be four limit ring forums in total: micro, small, mid, and high?

[/ QUOTE ]
Four forums. As the plan is currently discussed, the boundary between small and micro would be unchanged.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My proposal:

[/ QUOTE ]
The reason some have objected to this is that 15/30 and 20/40 are very similar so it would be nice to have them on the same forum. In particular, on Party Poker, where a lot of poster play, the 15/30 and 20/40 have a shared player pool and play the same (as I understand it; I only play 6-max, so this is all second-hand), while the jump from 20/40 to 30/60 is quite large in terms of the game changing.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. I think the values of micro/small/mid-high should change instead of making 3 forums 4.

My proposal:

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 10/20 has more in common with 20/40, than 3/6 does to 15/30.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:59 PM

I like SS how it is. People post 20/40 and 15/30 here hands a lot. I don't see what the point of a mid forum would be.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:18 PM

I would generally be for any plan that reduces the number of threads that appear in small stakes. There are simply too many threads, and the good threads don't get as many replies as they should because they are bumped off the front page.

That being said, I don't really want to see the slightly higher limit hands taken from here either because they are often the only hands that end up getting good discussion.

I don't know. I kind of like PJ's idea, but I can see the opposite side of that too.

What I would really really enjoy is a limit to the amount of threads a poster can start, like 1 or 2 per 24 hours or something like that. I believe it was Clark who used to emphasize the importance of responding to threads instead of starting new ones. I don't know the numbers, but I would guess that the average mid/high thread gets twice as many replies as the average SS thread.