Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 03:59 PM

Default A problem I have with flush draws. PP 2/4 Hand

I'm confused as to I should try to checkraise this flop ( which is what I was going for) Or just lead the flop...

Does it matter or should I just mix it up and bet it sometimes and other times go for a check raise?

Input appreciated

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks, CO checks.

Turn: (2 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, SB folds.

River: (4 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB
Old 11-15-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Re: A problem I have with flush draws. PP 2/4 Hand

bet the flop since there was no preflop raiser and you don't know if anybody is going to bet. Plus, if LP bets and you raise you'll face the field with calling 2. This is a clear flop bet IMHO.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:10 PM

Mixing it up is the way to go, especially when you're out of position because if you don't improve on the turn after CR'ing the flop, you can't do anything but check. That screams draw.

There are varying degrees of flush draws, so on a scale of 1-5, I'd give this about a 2. You have top pair, but no straight draw, no overcard and no draw to the nuts.

Short of getting into a raising war, there is no real wrong way to play this. By betting out, it could be raised behind you and the field and your implied odds are reduced. By not betting out, you might miss a chance to take the pot down right there.

In this hand, I'd want either a better hand or better draw before getting too aggressive on the flop.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:18 PM

Use the texture of the board to aid you in your decision making. Against 3 opponents on a Jack Rag Rag board with no obvious straight draw there is a higher than normal chance that this board missed everyone, so a semibluff bet is more likely than normal to pick up the pot on the flop or a later street. So you should bet the flop. In a small pot on a relatively uncordinated board against just 3 opponents, you should be betting your strong draws(flush draws, OESD) every time, dont mix it up.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:33 PM

This is a definite flop bet.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:53 PM

Bet! 14 outs to a strong hand makes it for value; plus the semi-bluff. I would look to reraise, depending on who calls and where the raiser is.

psw

ps. I'd be a bit worried betting out on the turn, having not bet prior. Now you may be behind w/ only one card to come.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:42 PM

Bet the flop. Why? Because you cannot intend to check raise the flop if no one has raised preflop.

If the SB bets the flop, simply call. If someone in early position bets the flop, and a few people call, you should raise.

If a late position player bets the flop, you should just call.

The idea is to attempt to get as many opponents to put in two bets on the flop as possible. Raising right away if the SB bet for example would be bad, since the other opponents would then have to call two bets and would likely fold.

On the turn, you should NOT bet. Just check / call. The turn is more expensive and your odds are going down when you put money in the pot.

The river - you may just want to call the raise instead of 3-betting, since you have a Ten high flush and the A,K,Q, or J high flush beats you.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You have top pair

[/ QUOTE ]

?
Old 11-15-2005, 06:54 PM

Believe it or not, your pair of twos COULD be the best hand, so you should BET.

You then put pressure on anyone else in the hand who does not have a Jack. You will often be raised by a later-position player who does have a Jack, so you gain information (since only a Jack, a set (not too likely), an overpair (also not too likely), or a magoo is raising this flop).

You have 5 outs to weak 2-pair or bottom trips, plus your 9 flush outs if you are behind. You don't mind folding out overcards (like a Q) or a small pair (like 55) in this small pot.

Once you see that turn card you don't like it, so you just want to get to see the river for cheap. The problem with betting this turn is now you may get raised by a Q, and with the pot this small you don't want to pay 2BB to see if your 14-outer comes in.

The way you played it, it's hard to tell what you are up against on the river. T9 did not have odds to call the turn bet for the OESD, but neither did a flush draw for that matter. You are probably up against 2-pair or a set, but you cannot rule out a higher flush.

I don't think the 3-bet is bad.

To answer your question: Bet this flop, and every time. I don't see this as a situation where you would 'mix it up'.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:23 PM

your deuces might be good on the flop, plus you have a great draw. i'd bet.