Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-15-2005, 04:08 AM

Default Got stiffed on a tip tonight

For all you people out there that "don't believe" in tipping servers, I wish you were all dead. No, seriously.

I was at work tonight, and was basically getting my ass handed to me by constant "big tops" of 8+ people. Normally I can handle these, but I had 2 of these types of tables going constantly for about 4 hours, plus the rest of my section was full. To top it all off, all of my tables were demanding as all [censored]. Typical friday night I guess.

So, as the dinner rush was winding down around 8pm, I get a group of 7 cowboys. No really, they were cowboys. This is northern AZ, afterall.

So, they rack up a pretty decent tab. They all got sirloin steaks, shrimp, and stuff like that. The ending tab: $102. I should have at least made $10 or so on the table, even if I didn't do a good job. Well, I did do a good job, and I didn't make $10. In fact, I got to the table, opened up the check presenter, and found nothing. I looked around the table (people oftentimes leave cash on the table), but found nothing there.

Literally, they left me $0 on a $102 ticket. It's not like I didn't give them good service. The service was fine. I consistently make 18-20% myself, so I know that I'm not a terrible server.

Well, this pissed me off to the point that I wanted to rush out to the parking lot and beat their asses. Really, it cost me $2 to work that table (I have to tip 2% of my sales to the hosts every night). What a bunch of fucktards. And as always, I have no recourse.

Oh, and it pissed me off so much that I found it necessary to post on OOT about it.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:11 AM

Default Re: Got stiffed on a tip tonight

Shitty tipper Database
Old 10-15-2005, 04:11 AM

I had a pretty good dinner date set up with my father and The Governator. I got a call earlier from the opso of my squadron telling me my leave papers got pulled, and I have 48 hours of duty that require me to be in San Diego. He did not send me 15%. STFU. I'm sick and tired of tipping posts. I'll tip you when I want. You shut up and let the world revolve until then.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:13 AM

I've never waited tables, or worked in any tipping industry, but I really hate guys like this. If you can't afford to tip, don't go out to eat, you goddam jackals.

What often contributes to this is large parties. You ever been with like 10 people, and everyone chips in for what they think they owe, and you collect everyone's cash and count the money, and you have like $98 total for a $110 tab? Not only is there not enough to tip, but there isn't even enough to cover the check. So everyone has to cough up even more dough, and you always have those two cumstains who don't throw in enough and someone gets stuck paying double what they owe just so the server doesn't get jacked.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll tip you when I want. You shut up and let the world revolve until then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you make $2.13/hr where you work? Thought not. Don't be a cheapass.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll tip you when I want. You shut up and let the world revolve until then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you make $2.13/hr where you work? Thought not. Don't be a cheapass.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not our responsibility to pay your bills, nor our fault you make a [censored]*y wage. You knew the score when you became a waiter - tipping is discretionary.

Besides, what cheap-azz place do you work where 7 men can all get steaks for $100??? And why doesn't your place of business automatically place a tip surcharge on all parties over 7, like most restaurants do?

Seriously, Sparky....I understand your pissed-off and you work hard - but if it bothers you that much, get a better job.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I should have at least made $10 or so on the table, even if I didn't do a good job.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, there's no "should" have gotten X amount even if you didn't do your job well. It's a gratuity -- not required. It must be earned. Service comes with the meal, and it's free. Good service is optional, but so is a good tip. It's a relationship thingy.

I'm a really laid back, informal, mild-mannered guy, but still find poor service very common. I tip well accordingly when it's not. But I have zero guilt about leaving little or even no tip if a server has shown me that they really couldn't care less about my comfort or concerns.

A restaurant usually only has one or two shots at me as a customer, and I have great loyalty to places I like, coming back for years on end and tipping well every time. I wouldn't be surprised if many restaurants and bars lose enormous potential profits and if some even go out of business just from the cumulative effects of having poor quality wait staff.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never waited tables, or worked in any tipping industry, but I really hate guys like this. If you can't afford to tip, don't go out to eat, you goddam jackals.

What often contributes to this is large parties. You ever been with like 10 people, and everyone chips in for what they think they owe, and you collect everyone's cash and count the money, and you have like $98 total for a $110 tab? Not only is there not enough to tip, but there isn't even enough to cover the check. So everyone has to cough up even more dough, and you always have those two cumstains who don't throw in enough and someone gets stuck paying double what they owe just so the server doesn't get jacked.

[/ QUOTE ]

This always happens and I hate the bejesus out of it. There are some people who are known for doing it every time, and we all are aware in advance that they'll be paying only half their tab. Even when everyone knows, they aren't ashamed to do it again.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, there's no "should" have gotten X amount even if you didn't do your job well. It's a gratuity -- not required. It must be earned. Service comes with the meal, and it's free. Good service is optional, but so is a good tip. It's a relationship thingy.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, this argument is BS because if everyone decided that they just weren't going to tip they would have to pay a lot more for the food. So by not tipping you are just freeloading off of the good tippers.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not our responsibility to pay your bills, nor our fault you make a [censored]*y wage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's exactly your fault, whether or not you choose to believe it. The federal government classifies me as a tipped employee, and thus can pay me $2.13/hr, considering tipping servers is customary.

[ QUOTE ]
Besides, what cheap-azz place do you work where 7 men can all get steaks for $100???

[/ QUOTE ]

Applebee's. Not exactly a steakhouse.

[ QUOTE ]
And why doesn't your place of business automatically place a tip surcharge on all parties over 7, like most restaurants do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only parties 8+.

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, Sparky....I understand your pissed-off and you work hard - but if it bothers you that much, get a better job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I make good enough money where I work. How? 99% of people that come in realize that they need to tip the waitstaff. You're apparently the 1% that hasn't been taught proper restaurant etiquette.

Oh, and do you know what happens when someone comes in and doesn't tip, even though the service was good? Our general manager comes out and bans them from the restaurant.

Don't be a tool. Tip your servers.