Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 08:15 AM

Default How Often Do You Reraise With Queens?

How often do you reraise with Queens? If opens while I'm on button I would defenitely consider it, but I hate raising OOP.

My notes on Button were, "Minraised AJo UTG+1 at full table. Checked behind 2 others with it on [7h 9c 9s] flop."

Not extremely helpful, but gives me a bit of information about his range. He checked behind other players with unimproved AJo. I remember the turn was a Jack and he bet. I don't think I've seen him showdown anything else that he minraised either.

-----
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (8 handed)

UTG ($143.50)
UTG+1 ($120.45)
MP1 ($53.65)
MP2 ($37.35)
CO ($134.50)
Button ($103.25)
SB ($117.90)
Hero ($112.05)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $1, MP1 calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $2</font>, SB calls $1.50, Hero calls $1, UTG+1 calls $1, MP1 calls $1.

Flop: ($10) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($10) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $23</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $15</font>, SB folds, Hero folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $51.65</font>, Button calls $13.65.

River: ($98.30) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $98.30

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP1 has Kh Kc (one pair, kings).
Button has Ad Ac (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Button wins $98.30. </font>
-----

I didn't reraise pre as I hate raising anything OOP. I figured I'd just look at a flop with my Queens. If the flop came with undercards than I'd have a strong hand. I also don't think they could put me on Queens either, with me just calling preflop and all.

Flop wasn't bad, I decided to check-raise. I wanted to see the action before me, and weed out players with a larger raise, not bet $8 and get 4 callers. I'm growing particularly fond of checking decent hands in the blinds, which I usually bet, in order to see the action. More often than not I will see a bet get reraised by players who have me crushed. Saves me a bet. It also lets me pick off bluffs or check-raise when I'm sure people are bluffing.

I lead blank turn for 4/5th pot bet and get raised a decent amount. Then minraiser reraises that, which is most likely a set of Jacks, Aces or Kings. Needless to say I'm out of there ASAP.

Anyways, comments are appreciated. Just wondering how you all play Queens.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:47 AM

Default Re: How Often Do You Reraise With Queens?

I make it 8 PF. 3/4 pot on undercard flop. 1/2 pot on dangerous flop if I can get it heads-up. With more than one caller and an A showing, I'm probably done with the hand.

Not saying this is correct play, but it's how I play them.

If this is bad, please let me know. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2005, 10:15 AM

I'm not sure if it's bad, but I don't do that. If I'm raising there, it's at least $10. I also bet near the same amount in any situation, whether with a monster or a total miss, so betting half on a miss isn't good for me.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:31 AM

The answer to this is clearly situational, but I think here you must reraise to narrow the field. The chance of unimporved QQ holding up against 4 opponenst is not very good. I don't think the raise is strong enough to prohibit you from reraising here.

Generally, I would not reraise a strong early position raise. If I were on the button or in the cutoff, I would reraise mid position raisers almost automatically (barring some exceptionally strong reads).

If you are in early position and raise 3X big blind, and you get reraised to 9X big blind, then you should just call. In this case, you should probably be looking for a third queen on the flop (unless your opponent is a super donk)
Old 06-18-2005, 03:35 PM

I really don't like a 4-way flop with Queens. I raise there, in spite of the fact you'll be playing out of postion.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:42 PM

I typically have a difficult time with your lines Skeme. So for what it's worth, I think re-raising QQ's OOP is a GOOD thing to do with a large field. You want to get this heads up, not play a large field OOP. I know you know this, but your going to justify your play somehow and then not take any criticism, so I'm probably wasting my time again. I again, can make little sense of your reasoning.

And, I don't understand the check-raise of the flop. I understand your 'theory' of trying to block people out AND of doing this in the blinds to pick people off(who are bluffing), but why take the chance of giving someone a free card here? The flop is OK for you, but it's not great.

My opinion - your trying to be too sophisiticated against a field that probably isn't observant enough to understand or grasp your play. Thus, you're losing BB's.

My two cents.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:10 PM

If opponent or my stack is 40xBB or less, I usually reraise with QQ.

If both of us are 150xBB +, I usually reraise with QQ.

I think the higher the limit though, the worse reraising with QQ becomes as the number of people who puts in 3 bet with AA/KK is next to nil.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:14 PM

I love QQ-TT in multiway pots, i try to discourage HU play as youre less likely to get as high a payoff.

However in this situation i am reraising. The pot is simply not big enough, you can raise more and get more money into the pot. Your notes indicate that one person wont pay you unless he connects with the flop, so get more of his money in now incase he doesnt connect and can fold for cheap.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:16 PM

With a min raise against multiple limpers I am always raising QQ, regardless of position. Don't be results oriented.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:34 PM

Actually I think being OOP is an argument for reraising QQ, you want to charge the max for him to draw on you. Not to mention his minraise is just going to encourage the others to stick around, bump it up and play HU. JMO