Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

View Poll Results: Given that you've played at PartyPoker and Pokerstars, which is better?
PokerStars 9 47.37%
PartyPoker 10 52.63%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Who passes on the river value bet here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

MP3 (t1480)
Hero (t1490)
Button (t1470)
SB (t1690)
BB (t1400)
UTG (t1360)
UTG+1 (t1610)
MP1 (t1500)
MP2 (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t80) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t20</font>, BB calls t20, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t80</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t140</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP2 calls t60.

Turn: (t400) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t240</font>, MP2 calls t240.

River: (t880) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero?
Old 12-04-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Who passes on the river value bet here?

I bet because I like chips. I'm not sure what more of a comment I can leave.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah you're right, its a stupid question. I post stupid hands a lot to punish myself so I dont make dumb mistakes anymore. sorry for the waste.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:47 PM

It is usually possible to figure out at least some possibilities as to why the question is being asked. Here betting seems very straightforward. If oppo has played an overpair or a set this way, then you just pay him off. He's played it in at least a somewhat funny way, however. You can't spend too much time second guessing yourself about it.

Isn't it a lot more likely that your opponents has a hand that is paying you off than is trapping you?

If there is some kind of subtle point that I'm missing here, I look forward to reading about it later on.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pooh74 was hungover from the NYC ghet-together [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is usually possible to figure out at least some possibilities as to why the question is being asked. Here betting seems very straightforward. If oppo has played an overpair or a set this way, then you just pay him off. He's played it in at least a somewhat funny way, however. You can't spend too much time second guessing yourself about it.

Isn't it a lot more likely that your opponents has a hand that is paying you off than is trapping you?

If there is some kind of subtle point that I'm missing here, I look forward to reading about it later on.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, you're right. The issue is, when he playing the draw, JT or whatever, he's not calling the river bet. When he is playing the overpair/set, he is putting me in and/or Im losing chips on the river.

The reason this was such a brainfart for me was that there is no way he plays an overpair like this nor a set...almost never.

A9 type hands MORE than make up for any "monsters in the closet" type hands here and its a huge leak when I check behind here. I think there are some subtle differences that you could make to this hand that would make me check behind, but the board pairing shouldnt have scared me at all. A "Q" appearing is a good example where I would feel better about checking the r.

Thanks for the ridicule though
Old 12-04-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pooh74 is hungover from the NYC ghet-together [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP...good "read" though
Old 12-04-2005, 05:59 PM

I voted for value bet here too. I dont think its a bad hand to post though.

I like raising a lot more on the flop with a hand like this - probably closer to 300 total. The original raiser is going to call your minraise almost 100% of the time. By raising small, youre giving cheap cards. I like to make them pay dearly to draw with a hand like yours and I dont mind if they fold to my reraise.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:25 PM

I voted to check behind because so few hands you beat will call a bet. Basically only A9, T9s, J9s if villain is decent. What buyin?
Old 12-04-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I voted to check behind because so few hands you beat will call a bet. Basically only A9, T9s, J9s if villain is decent. What buyin?

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry...27 stars turbo.