Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 05:27 PM

Default acoustic trauma (trip report)

warning : whining post.

over thanksgiving i was supposed to go hunting with dad. my dad had shot a deer two days before , plus it snowed heavily, so instead, he set up some targets a quarter mile from their house. we shot some rounds with a .22 taurus revolver, then a .22 rifle with some thunderbird rounds and a 9x sight. finally, we had a chance to shoot some AK-47 with the 9x sight and his 12 gauge shotgun at 100-150 yards.

after that i left their house on a 5 hour drive back (sunday). i noticed that my left ear started ringing when i turned on the radio. it also felt plugged. i turned down the music, the ringing subsided. i arrived home, it was still plugged. i went to sleep and on monday morning i thought it started feeling better, though still plugged and loud high-pitched noises still bothered me. for the most part monday was fine.

today it got worse. there's currently constant ringing in my ear. it's faint, but it's annoying as hell. using the cell phone on that side is a nightmare. the plugged feeling is going away but still there. i don't think i'll have trouble sleeping but this is something i really want to just go away.

i looked online, it's most definitely acoustic trauma. in most instances the damage is there but the ringing should go away in 24-48 hours. it's been 50 hours since then, so i am getting worried.

if any good comes of this, let it be a lesson. wear ear protection when you shooting your shotgun.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: acoustic trauma (trip report)

I would go to the doctor, you are probably dying.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wear ear protection when you shooting your shotgun.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is right up there with "don't open email attachments claiming to have naked pics of anna kournikova" advice.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if any good comes of this, let it be a lesson. wear ear protection when you shooting any gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what your post SHOULD say. Guns are loud, so wear ear protection. We're not designing rockets here. I don't mean to sound harsh, but there's a reason that gun stores sell earphones/earplugs.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:34 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
Actually...y'know what, this just reminded me why I stopped posting here. See you all in another couple months.

[/ QUOTE ]

posted 11/26/05 10:20 PM. less than 2 months ago, would you agree?
Old 11-30-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually...y'know what, this just reminded me why I stopped posting here. See you all in another couple months.

[/ QUOTE ]

posted 11/26/05 10:20 PM. less than 2 months ago, would you agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops, I'm sorry. The forum police caught on. I didn't know it was your job as a moderator to even care what I do unless I'm disrupting topics with stupid stuff. In this case, I'm not doing that at all. Also, considering this is a public forum, I come and go as I please. I happened to come across a thread that I could give solid information on (as a flight instructor, no less), so I decided to post. You really have no say as a moderator if I'm allowed to do that or not. If you have an issue with that, the person to PM is "Mat Sklansky." Enjoy.

Have a look at the last two threads I've posted in as well, and see who's been pushing the threads off track (and in this case, that person is you). Go pick on someone else, tool.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:34 PM

Actually, it's a shame I have to get into it with you, since it was you I was talking with about your very nice GLI. Oh well, I guess that's just how things go sometimes.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:47 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

did you "have to" get into it with me?

you make earnest contributions to flight-related threads, but the bulk of your observable contributions are flame wars regarding your choice of employment or tipping.

i brought it up because it's an oot rule that [censored] created, and i happen to approve of it. (3. If you make a post stating that you are leaving OOT you will be. If you make a poll asking if you should leave OOT, and you lose, you will be.). see you january 26th.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
did you "have to" get into it with me?

you make earnest contributions to flight-related threads, but the bulk of your observable contributions are flame wars regarding your choice of employment or tipping.

i brought it up because it's an oot rule that [censored] created, and i happen to approve of it. (3. If you make a post stating that you are leaving OOT you will be. If you make a poll asking if you should leave OOT, and you lose, you will be.). see you january 26th.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-30-2005, 04:53 PM

OMG PWNED