Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-09-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: hXc (that\'s hardcore to you n00bs) You Send It thread

i guess i'll use this thread to ask people what they think of the new every time i die album, or what they think of that band in general.

to be honest, i'm very disappointed in the new album.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:58 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
if any dude started hating on modest mouse because they are huge now, i wouldn't respect him, [censored], as a person. its just lame. unfortunately theres a lot of lame people in any music scene, so this happens.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not that this has anything to do with hardcore, but I want to type. I agree with what you're saying in general. But in the specific case of Modest Mouse, you can make an undeniable connection between their style changing and their success. I happen to love it all, but I do prefer their older material and can see how longtime fans might be put off.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:02 PM

I have been into hardcore and straight edge for 5 years. It's come to the point where I hate talking about it because I'm automatically labeled. I don't even tell people I'm edge anymore. It's something I do for myself and don't feel like I need to explain it to anyone else.

Anyways, in terms of music, metal != hardcore. That is my first point. Blood Has Been Shed is a good metal band. They are not hardcore.

There are still plenty of "big" straight edge bands in the scene. Champion is my favorite. Also, there is Have Heart, Embrace Today (bleh), and Righteous Jams.

Anyways, I love Turning Point. I think Think Fast Records just released the discography on vinyl. I am too poor for that though. GET BACK and WHAT FEEDS THE FIRE are my favorite songs by them.

If anyone is interested in chatting about the 'core, just IM me instead. See user name.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:03 PM

Also, why does OP have COURAGE CREW- LIFER as his location and a picture as his avatar? He said he wasn't Courage Crew....

Weird.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if any dude started hating on modest mouse because they are huge now, i wouldn't respect him, [censored], as a person. its just lame. unfortunately theres a lot of lame people in any music scene, so this happens.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not that this has anything to do with hardcore, but I want to type. I agree with what you're saying in general. But in the specific case of Modest Mouse, you can make an undeniable connection between their style changing and their success. I happen to love it all, but I do prefer their older material and can see how longtime fans might be put off.

[/ QUOTE ]

well then in their case your beef would be with their change of style, not their success. presumably if they made the same style change, but didn't achieve the success they have, you'd still be put off. that's much different than being put off simply because they're more popular/successful now.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:18 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
well then in their case your beef would be with their change of style, not their success. presumably if they made the same style change, but didn't achieve the success they have, you'd still be put off. that's much different than being put off simply because they're more popular/successful now.

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely correct. But does anyone really outwardly say, "I don't like them now because they're too popular?" In a case where I didn't know enough about the band to validate this shift in style, I would probably assume that this line was bs and they are really just a douche that doesn't like anything that's popular.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:19 PM

I guess im old(or off base), because when i saw this thread I thought of Gorilla Biscuits, Chain of Strength, Negative Approach, Madball, that was the stuff I liked. Never had many friends into hxc(or many friends period--time to write a suicide post i guess), though I did lead a sxe lifestyle for a few years. Now i lead a life of moderation, works much better.

I also liked Youth of Today, there's a little dig at them in that H2O song, I [censored] loved H2O, I saw them at fireside bowl here in chicago in '98 or so and it was a great show.

I just mp3'd this for the f of it and tried you send it

Gorilla Biscuits - New Direction
Old 09-09-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess im old(or off base), because when i saw this thread I thought of Gorilla Biscuits, Chain of Strength, Negative Approach, Madball, that was the stuff I liked. Never had many friends into hxc(or many friends period--time to write a suicide post i guess), though I did lead a sxe lifestyle for a few years. Now i lead a life of moderation, works much better.

I also liked Youth of Today, there's a little dig at them in that H2O song, I [censored] loved H2O, I saw them at fireside bowl here in chicago in '98 or so and it was a great show.

I just mp3'd this for the f of it and tried you send it

Gorilla Biscuits - New Direction

[/ QUOTE ]

"the youth of yesterday, what else can I say.."

You're on target man. That stuff was a few years before my time, and I would think a little out of reach for the younger guys here.

Good [censored].

Tonights gym soundtrack will be h20 and gorilla biscuits.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:53 PM

Norma Jean, Converge and Circle Takes The Square. End Of Thread.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Norma Jean, Converge and Circle Takes The Square. End Of Thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close.

Botch, Coalesce, Closure.