Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 03:13 PM

Default river action, straight on a paired board

Pokerstars 1/2 6 handed

Villain in this hand seems loose and not very good. Also minraises a lot preflop (though not this hand). I have $200, Villain covers.

Preflop: Folds to Villain in CO who limps, I complete in SB with 98 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], BB checks.

Flop ($6): J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet $5, BB folds, Villain calls

Turn ($15): J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet $10, Villain raises to $30, I call.

River ($75): 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I...?

Two main questions:
1. What should I have done on the turn? The more I think about it, the more I think I'm rarely seeing a full house on the turn. Anyone 3bet this?

2. Given my line, what's my move on the river?
Old 12-03-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: river action, straight on a paired board

1. I'm taking a very similar line on the turn.

2. I check-call ~1/2 to 2/3 bet. Anything bigger, I'm going to need a better read.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:23 PM

I probably repop the turn to about $75-80. Villain has a bare J and won't have a problem coming along for the ride.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably repop the turn to about $75-80. Villain has a bare J and won't have a problem coming along for the ride.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm liking this idea the more I think about it. At the time, I was afraid of reraising when drawing (basically) dead, but I really doubt he has a FH here. More likely, I think, is the naked J or an overpair that he decided to get cute and limp preflop with.

If you repop, do you call a push? If he calls you are pushing a blank river, correct?
Old 12-03-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check-call ~1/2 to 2/3 bet. Anything bigger, I'm going to need a better read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think he's got a boat that often? Remember, this guy is loose and not great. He might have it, but a naked J is much more likely, imo. Unless he puts in a massive overbet, I'm not considering folding the river.
Esp. with that river, I feel like a lot of worse hands will check behind, while I may get a crying call if I lead.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely. Since you know that villain isn't very good, trip Jacks have him wetting his pants with excitement. He thinks he made a huge raise on the turn and when you repop him, he'll probably push because he just hit his "dream card".

Of course, he may have had JTs and just filled up, but that's the breaks.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely. Since you know that villain isn't very good, trip Jacks have him wetting his pants with excitement. He thinks he made a huge raise on the turn and when you repop him, he'll probably push because he just hit his "dream card".

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted, that's a possibility, but don't you think that JT raises the flop?

EDIT: Just remembered that villain's a donk. All the same, I don't think that you'll see a boat very often.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted, that's a possibility, but don't you think that JT raises the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think JT does raise the flop. I agree with you. I'm just saying that there's an outside chance that hero gets stacked here. Overall, a reraise from hero on the turn is still a very +EV situation.