Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 09:47 AM

Default 600 PL, middle set multiway situation

Party 3-6 Pot Limit (6-max)
MP ($360)
CO (Hero) ($800)
B ($550)

i don't play much 6-max, but my read was that MP was a bit too tight (roughly 28/7 i think). Button has just sat down recently and didn't have any out of line stats or actions so far.

UTG folds and MP raises to $15, which is what his standard raise has been.
I call with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Button and blinds all call

flop ($73): 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

MP leads pot. I call.

MP hadn't always been following through on his raises as strongly as this, so the full bet into 4 players makes me think overpair is fairly likely at this point.

I usually play my sets very fast, hoping for this situation exactly with position on the OR. but the possibility of overcalls suckered me in. i would appreciate thoughts on whether it's worth it to trap more money in the pot, when a 7 or 6 will likely kill my action from the likely overpair, especially if i get the overcallers i'm hoping for. if there were two of a suit i certainly would have raised. (slightly relevant sidenote: The blinds hadn't been doing much check-raising)

Button calls as well, blinds fold

turn ($290): 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

MP checks (he has 270 left)

I check, thinking if button has a 9 he will bet, or maybe will fire anyway with a draw, thinking he can fold better hands, in this case i can trap some more money from MP. If button checks, i think i have a better chance of getting the money from an overpair on the river anyway, and he's short enough that i don't need to build a pot.

Button bets $100, MP calls $100 after thinking for several seconds.

Button has roughly $380 left, and MP has $170 left. Pot is almost $600 after i call. A push is standard here, right?

I felt uncomfortable with the situation the whole way because of my position relative to the raiser and the rest of the field. Any votes for raising the flop, betting the turn or even calling the turn?

results:

<font color="white"> button calls with 5s full, river a blank. mhig </font>