Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2005, 03:10 PM

Default 2 Super Monday Hands

Hand 1: I have just doubled up to T4300 at the 100/200 level with about 250 people left in last night's Super. UTG (1900) opens for 600 and I'm UTG+2 w/ JJ. Action? My read is nil because he's just moved here and I'm multitabling.

Hand 2: I have 2300 still 100/200 and I'm UTG w/ TT. I make it 575 and a shortstack in MP calls, leaving himself 900. I'm planning to push any flop when the big stacked (9k) BB calls as well. The flop is A23 and the BB checks, I have 1750 and the pot has 1800, what now?
Old 03-08-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Re: 2 Super Monday Hands

hand 1: i'd push. you want to isolate with the short-stack, and knock out AQ.

hand 2: ewwww.... i think i'd check. if the shortie pushes, call. then same plan on the turn, but fold if BB pushes.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: I have just doubled up to T4300 at the 100/200 level with about 250 people left in last night's Super. UTG (1900) opens for 600 and I'm UTG+2 w/ JJ. Action? My read is nil because he's just moved here and I'm multitabling.

Hand 2: I have 2300 still 100/200 and I'm UTG w/ TT. I make it 575 and a shortstack in MP calls, leaving himself 900. I'm planning to push any flop when the big stacked (9k) BB calls as well. The flop is A23 and the BB checks, I have 1750 and the pot has 1800, what now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand 1: Ill either reraise to 1200-1500 or push.

Hand 2: Push preflop with that stack size I think
Old 03-08-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 1: i'd push. you want to isolate with the short-stack, and knock out AQ.

hand 2: ewwww.... i think i'd check. if the shortie pushes, call. then same plan on the turn, but fold if BB pushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

hand 1: yep, easy push

hand 2: BB can be on a lot of hands here. He was getting almost 4 to 1 on his call. I'd say an ace is certainly possible, but not nearly automatic. So if you check, shorty pushes and BB calls, it's an easy fold. Shorty pushes and BB folds, you call. But what if it's checked around and another face falls on the turn?

All in all, I think that BB has a very low chance of having an ace here, and if I'm going to call shorty anyway, I might as well do the pushing myself.

Flawed?
Old 03-08-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 2: Push preflop with that stack size I think

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All in all, I think that BB has a very low chance of having an ace here, and if I'm going to call shorty anyway, I might as well do the pushing myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

you'd like to let him push 66-99 / KQs. you're going to lose it all when he has a hand, so may as well try to win something when he doesn't.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you'd like to let him push 66-99 / KQs. you're going to lose it all when he has a hand, so may as well try to win something when he doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although getting his 900 would be nice, and pushing would almost certainly make him fold a smaller pair, the pot can double your stack right now. Are those 900 chips worth the possibility of losing on the turn to a free card?

Here's another one, though I'm admitting up front that it's a stretch. I see weaker players all the time in these things flat calling pf with JJ and QQ because they want to make sure the flop is clear of aces before committing to the hand. I said it was a stretch, but maybe 5% of the time?

Not saying I'm right here, and in the heat of battle w/o time to think this thru, I prob check too. Just trying to flex my brain a little so I'll have a better idea of how to handle this type of situation next time.

Note: this line of thought applies to hero holding TT & JJ. With QQ and KK I think checking is by far the best play.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Note: this line of thought applies to hero holding TT & JJ. With QQ and KK I think checking is by far the best play.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a good point. i think you convinced me. i'd push TT. i'd check KK.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way...

I swayed a Pooh-Bah's opinion?

I think this is my 2+2 "Coming of Age" event.

There will be much feasting and celebration tonight!!
Old 03-08-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way...

I swayed a Pooh-Bah's opinion?

I think this is my 2+2 "Coming of Age" event.

There will be much feasting and celebration tonight!!

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]