Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 10:06 AM

Default 2 away from the money

30+3 MTT, blinds 1000/2000
I'm one away from the CO, everyone folds to the player on my right who bets 2BB. I had 4BB stack & his stack just covers mine. I'm holding jj and have a strong feeling that I got him beat. In the money pay begins +5Xbuy-in. What would you do? Push all in, check or fold???
Old 08-03-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: 2 away from the money

[ QUOTE ]
I'm one away from the CO, everyone folds to the player on my right who bets 2BB. I had 4BB stack & his stack just covers mine. I'm holding jj and have a strong feeling that I got him beat. In the money pay begins +5Xbuy-in. What would you do? Push all in, check or fold???

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats tough. If you go all in theres an 85% chance he calls, and you're probably a favorite but my guess is that he has atleast 1 overcard, maybe 2. If you play to win you have to push, but if you play to make the money you should fold. This is a great chance to double up though. If you take it down you can start to be a real threat in the tournament. So I say, PUSH!
Old 08-03-2005, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats tough. If you go all in theres an 85% chance he calls, and you're probably a favorite but my guess is that he has atleast 1 overcard, maybe 2. If you play to win you have to push, but if you play to make the money you should just call, then fold if an overcard hits. This is a great chance to double up though. If you take it down you can start to be a real threat in the tournament. So I say, PUSH!

[/ QUOTE ]

This goes back to the question in the other thread about why people play MTTs.

If its for cash, then you would fold, knowing full well that your chances of making it anywhere past the pirst level of payouts is slim.

If its to win, then you would push - you are taking a risk of losing a chance at a payout, but you are taking probably the best shot you have to make a run at a top prize.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This goes back to the question in the other thread about why people play MTTs.

If its for cash, then you would fold, knowing full well that your chances of making it anywhere past the pirst level of payouts is slim.

If its to win, then you would push - you are taking a risk of losing a chance at a payout, but you are taking probably the best shot you have to make a run at a top prize.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't assume pushing is $EV-. That depends on the payout structure and the avaerage stack size. Winning the hand will give you 10xBB, which may not be that small compared to other stacks. I think this is probably a push.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:40 AM

I would push too - I am just saying that if you would be satisfied with the smallest payout, then you may want to avoid the confrontation at this point.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:53 AM

I was thinking the min payout would cover 150+15 trny buy ins. So, I folded. He told me hae had TT. I was fuming before fold but once I made decision it was OK by me. He could have made a set to beat me anyways.

I somehow managed to be in final 2 tables in the same trny. BB 6000. I had +50,000 stack sitting in SB with J8s. Everyone folds to me. By now, everyone has been playing strong hands and/or position playing all-ins for a few rounds alreay. Player at BB chip stack about same as mine. What would experienced player do here. Try to still the blind with all in, call & see the flop or fold?
BTW, chip leader at my table has ~100K, so I'm one bld away from being a serious contender.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking the min payout would cover 150+15 trny buy ins. So, I folded. He told me hae had TT. I was fuming before fold but once I made decision it was OK by me. He could have made a set to beat me anyways.

I somehow managed to be in final 2 tables in the same trny. BB 6000. I had +50,000 stack sitting in SB with J8s. Everyone folds to me. By now, everyone has been playing strong hands and/or position playing all-ins for a few rounds alreay. Player at BB chip stack about same as mine. What would experienced player do here. Try to still the blind with all in, call & see the flop or fold?
BTW, chip leader at my table has ~100K, so I'm one bld away from being a serious contender.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man these are the exact situations I hate. A few weeks ago I was literally in the same exact position as this and I had QQ. I wasn't gonna be cute with it so I just went all in. The BB instacalls and flips over AA. I wanted to puke. Man! With J8 suited I would say raise to 2BB, but like I said these hands are my worst nightmare.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:02 AM

With J8s and 8xBB, I push from SB. It's EV+. If you get called, you are probably not a big dog. In a live tournment where there is 2 1/2 xBB in the pot with antes, it is a real easy push. With no ante on Party, it is a little more borderline. Even without ante, when you consider pot odds and folding equity, it is EV+ to push with an average or better hand.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:15 AM

I did push all in and big blin calls with 66 and took me out for 17th place. After thought, I think it would have been better to just fold and wait for a better opportunity since I'm only one dbl away to seriously go after the big payouts. Not a good thought?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I did push all in and big blin calls with 66 and took me out for 17th place. After thought, I think it would have been better to just fold and wait for a better opportunity since I'm only one dbl away to seriously go after the big payouts. Not a good thought?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough one. I really hate going out on hands like that. You play for hours and the hand you lost your whole stack on was J8? When it gets down to the end its so tough.