Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-27-2005, 04:44 PM

Default erm river help please

I think i bit off more then i could chew by moving to 1/2

UTG is 57/7.1/.27
Sb is unkown

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (7 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (13 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="green">HERO? </font>
Old 12-27-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: erm river help please

I'd raise the turn. You have paired the board and have a 4 flush. You'll win more times getting it heads up with the raiser and you'll buy yourself a free showdown when he checks the river.

On the river I'd just call. You are probably ahead but you could be behind a FH or str8. I might be wrong on the river but I think this is the time to go for an overcall.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:35 PM

3-betting the turn is really bad.

just call the river.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3-betting the turn is really bad.

just call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? SB might just have a piece of it and be betting. UTG seems passive but I don't know what the sample size is here. His raise could be he hit the J; has two pair or flush draw or possibly he hit his str8 in which case he will 3bet and you can lay it down.

If he doesn't have a str8 we can probably go to showdown for free or if we hit we can extract an extra bet. Also, unless SB has a very strong hand he is not coldcalling here. What is terrible about that?
Old 12-27-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he will 3bet and you can lay it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sorry, but how can one lie down a nut flush draw in this spot to a raise?
Old 12-27-2005, 05:59 PM

did you read the hand? we have the nut flush draw on the turn - we can not fold to a cap. UTG is passive and almost always has two pair or better here. because UTG is almost surely beating me, i'd like to keep SB in behind me.

i'm not planning to take my pair of 8s to show down unimproved in this spot, so i don't see why paying a shitload here for a free show down is worth anything.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:08 PM

I accidently let that go before editing it...ah well. Okay I'm not letting it go to a cap but I'm still 3betting here and getting a free showdown when behind or extra bet in on the river if ahead. And one extra bet is not a shitload of chips. You are assuming SB is staying in and UTG will not give you a free showdown or will attempt to c/r you. With a .23 stat I think he is giving you the free showdown so you are putting in the same amount of chips.

So if are you calling the river if it is a blank?
Old 12-27-2005, 06:10 PM

dude, UTG has you beaten. why on earth would you 3-bet against him for a "free showdown?" just take a look at your equity vs. UTG's hand range and you (should) realize that 3-betting is horrible, especially because it will knock out SB a lot.

and reread my post. no i'm not calling down unimproved - i like money.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:33 PM

I suck..your right. I need to stop hating money. Thanks for replying and letting me know because I really do appreciate it.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:39 PM

Agreed, 3bet = bad for all the reasons already explained.
Just calling the river seems fine as well, maybe sb will overcall.

I think I just played a session with you earlier. I was Blunderfull. I was steering clear of you, your stats were tighter than people I like to play against.