Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 11:36 AM

Default KK - free showdown with A on board?

Villian is 31/14/1.56

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (7.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB
Old 12-05-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Re: KK - free showdown with A on board?

You're probably beat on the flop, but if you're gonna stay in, I'd raise it, not call with it.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:08 PM

I was probably just going to call down.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:01 PM

I think I would raise the flop and expect to fold to a reraise. The raise will allow him to check to you on the turn/river, so that you can take a free showdown and save yourself 1/2 bet for the hand. Folding is a close second on the flop due to the small size of the pot. Calling is not an option here.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:06 PM

Raising the flop is best, folding the flop against a player with those stats is in my opinion quite weak/tight play @1/2.

I would fold to a 3-bet. If he called my raise and the turn was a spade I would find it hard to bet. This way you allow him to bluff into you on the river and you also don't get c/r by a player who may have bet out a flush draw.

You can then make your nut flush draw and raise him on the river.

Raise flop / fold to a 3-bet. Check turn when called on a spade turn otherwise bet and fold to c/r. Call river bet on no flush, bet/raise river with flush.

True
Old 12-05-2005, 01:22 PM

take the free showdown. He isn't folding his Ace for one bet and the flush didn't come in.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:26 PM

Folding this HU anywhere is not a good plan. The pot odds justify seeing the river. Plus, you have a BD flush draw and 2 outs for a set.

Just call him down. Just because there is an A on the board doesn't mean you are beat. He could have a flush draw, straight draw, a PP or some crap and betting an A scare card.

I think a call down is better than raising any of the streets because a raise exposes you to a 3-bet he could pull with a pair + flush draw or straight draw type hand. It would be a fairly big mistake to fold a winning hand to a 3-bet in this situation. Also, a raise by you may cause him to shut-down like he did as he did in this hand. Here, you got just as much out of him as you did by calling down, BUT, you put youself in a spot to get bluffed out by a frisky 3-bet.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:26 PM

On the turn I like a call and a call only.

If he has the A, he ain't folding, so we're putting in extra bets with the worst hand.

If had was betting a FD on the flop, it just came in, but we have a redraw, so again don't want to put more bets in.

If he was donking a middle pair or complete air, you've got him good most of the time and you'd like him to keep betting.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:29 PM

How is the raise on the turn a "free" showdown? You still pay 2 BB's and risk getting reraised on the Turn and no showdown.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:33 PM

I think the turn raise is really bad. I might raise for a free showdown if I think that I might make someone fold a better hand or if I know that villain has the best of the outs. In this case I think neither is true.