Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-29-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Republican wants Gay-Straight Alliances banned from Utah high schools.

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/ci_3341178

Every day, Utah proves to me that praying to Mormo will not make me as smart as Ken Jennings.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Republican wants Gay-Straight Alliances banned from Utah high schools.

Sounds VERY enforcable.

How can you ban the drama club?
Old 12-29-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Republican wants Gay-Straight Alliances banned from Utah high scho

Ban all clubs to get rid of a gay-straight alliance. Being a student in Utah must be a blast.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:32 PM

you just have to love Utah
Old 12-29-2005, 04:42 PM

Great quote from the article:

"When attorneys kept warning lawmakers that the law was unconstitutional on its face and would be a waste of money, one legislator was heard to say, "I'm getting sick and tired of this constitutional crap."

Amen, brother. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2005, 06:35 PM

Nice distortion to get in an anti-repub comment. Since virtually all Mormons are republicans, then naturally the repub party will be dominant in Utah, and Mormon agenda items will be advanced by the state's repub party, although its positions will not always be, like in this case, national repub policy.

And as far as those gay kids, they are actually being done a favor and learning that they have no future in Utah. What are they going to do when they go into business and are doing the required networking at some function and the inevitable question comes:"what stake do you belong to?". And they reply none because they are unbelievers since the Mormon church looks down on their gay lifestyle. Even if they replied none because they are catholic like me, the result is the same, i.e. you will never be accepted fully in society and will not prosper in business without being Mormon. So better to get the message early and make one of the other 49 states a home.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if they replied none because they are catholic like me, the result is the same, i.e. you will never be accepted fully in society and will not prosper in business without being Mormon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tangential, but now I'm wondering: might evangelical Christians be an exception to this effective exclusion or not? I'll guess "not"--although I don't really see how the Mormons could claim the evangelical Christians are *wrong*. (The Mormons might claim their Book of Mormon builds on and perhaps even surpasses the Bible, but they can't/don't claim the genuine Bible-thumpers are *wrong*, do they? (and by using the "Bible-thumpers", I mean strictly in the religious, not political, sense).
Old 12-29-2005, 08:21 PM

If you're not Mormon then you're just NOT. Since they use the cultic practice of shunning members, even family, who have left their fold, that should show this point.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And as far as those gay kids, they are actually being done a favor and learning that they have no future in Utah. What are they going to do when they go into business and are doing the required networking at some function and the inevitable question comes:"what stake do you belong to?".

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this post is pretty much a weak jab at the Republicans.... but this justification of it is kind of far-fetched. You're assuming that all the kids will be going into business and will be shunned when that might be true for only a small portion of them. More fundamentally, even if what you say is true, by enacting homophobic policies like this, the state is ensuring that it always will be true. Nobody's being done a favor here.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:56 PM

Can we all just agree Mormons suck? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]