Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance

Old 11-26-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Thoughts?

This new forum detracts from the legitimacy of 2+2 as a whole, and adds legitimacy to idiots, morons, and whiners. Thoughts?
Old 11-26-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Thoughts?

Nah, good place to vent and perhaps realize that it's all about the long run as well as understanding the concept of variance in less abstract way.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This new forum detracts from the legitimacy of 2+2 as a whole, and adds legitimacy to idiots, morons, and whiners. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then everything in OT, including OOT, also detracts from the legitimacy of 2+2.

Wouldn't you rather localize beats etc. and corral the whiners in one place, so as to stiffen up on-topic posts in poker-related forums?
Old 11-26-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then everything in OT, including OOT, also detracts from the legitimacy of 2+2.

Wouldn't you rather localize beats etc. and corral the whiners in one place, so as to stiffen up on-topic posts in poker-related forums?

[/ QUOTE ]

The posts in Politics, Science, Math, Philosophy, and Sporting Events are generally intelligent. I'm not going to argue with you about OOT. Obviously this board is here to stay, but no, I would rather just not allow posters to post bad beats, or, when they do, they get berated for it from regular posters until they learn not to. Posting Bad Beats encourages an incorrect way of thinking about poker, and gambling/variance in general.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously this board is here to stay, but no, I would rather just not allow posters to post bad beats, or, when they do, they get berated for it from regular posters until they learn not to. Posting Bad Beats encourages an incorrect way of thinking about poker, and gambling/variance in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

While lionizing beats might be an "incorrect" way to think about poker and variance, separating it from the actual forums themselves seems to indicate that thinking the "correct" way about poker means ignoring beats and variance. Establishing a place for the collective to vent seems like a good way to trim the fat from actual poker content in other forums.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:51 PM

Dude this forum is awesome. What is wrong with bad beats?
Old 11-26-2005, 03:09 PM

It seems like bad beat posts is something impossible to eradicate. Thus, making a separate forum for it, is an improvement of all the other forum, while containing the "problem".
Old 11-26-2005, 04:03 PM

If this can help keep bad beat posts out of normal forums than I am all for it.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:11 PM

Hopefully the forum will help n00bs take another look at the hand, and maybe look at different options of how to play it, so maybe it wouldn't have been as bad, etc etc. Some of the bad beats posted here aren't really bad beats at all, they were misplayed premium hands.

With the brags & variance, I think this is good as well. Everyone goes through a downswing they never thought possible. Sometime just getting it off of you chest will make you feel 10x better, even if no one else cares. The brags might even help people who are running bad, letting know that it does get better. Or if the people that are running bad just suck, this encourages them to deposit more money looking for the gold mine . [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I think that if you are going to whine though, you should still have to show some hands, because it may not bad luck, it may be that you suck.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:56 PM

You Suck! Go Away! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]