Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 05:05 AM

Default Why do people hit and run?

i just started playing a lot of HU and I have found that a lot of (bad) players play a few hands, make 1 big score and then leave. Is there a psychological impetus for this or are they just dumbasses?
Old 11-04-2005, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Why do people hit and run?

They think you are better or might be better, so they take their win and leave.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:25 AM

Not being one of those, I can't say for sure.

They may think they are being clever.

They may just like posting a win.

They may know they 'got lucky' and don't want to press it, especially if they played something silly and 'fooled you'.

It's idle speculation. Have to ask one of them, but the answer may not be coherent. It's possible they have no reason at all, or none that conforms to any logic we understand.

After all, some people do the same thing with slot machines. They may just be trying to get lucky.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:56 AM

well the hit and run is bad for many reason (in my opinion)
just to name the two most important...

But the reason they do it is because they always want to leave the with a profit - I guess it's another not to get bored at the table.[list][*]When a table is good (you are winning) then you leave. [*]When it's bad and you get stuck - you stay until you are even or have a minor profit. It's game selection in reverse...

When it's bad and you get stuck - you stay until you are even or have a minor profit. It's game selection in reverse...
Old 11-04-2005, 09:40 AM

Most of the hit and run artists I've seen play an extremely LAGgy game. By the time anybody at the table realizes that they are extremely reckless, they've moved on to another table.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the hit and run artists I've seen play an extremely LAGgy game. By the time anybody at the table realizes that they are extremely reckless, they've moved on to another table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen this too. Someone sits down, plays very aggressively, and steals a few pots. Then, after showing down a 97o that he raised preflop and flopped a straight with, he leaves the table before anyone paying attention starts re-raising him preflop.

Of course, he would probably be better off staying at the same table and switching styles from LAG to TAG, but I guess that's not as much fun.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i just started playing a lot of HU and I have found that a lot of (bad) players play a few hands, make 1 big score and then leave. Is there a psychological impetus for this or are they just dumbasses?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you answered your own question.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(bad) players play a few hands, make 1 big score and then leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are a bad player, then leaving is +EV.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:04 PM

I do this sometimes and I'm not bad. Alot lately, actually. It's from boredom. I sit down, make a decent hand, am up half a buy in and then just can't stand the thought of sitting here, too boring, so I figure I'll cut and run. I used to go for 5000 hands a week and now I am only posting like 2500, my boredom is killing me.

Another reason: I typically run about 16% VPIP full ring, but if I am up this creeps towards 20-21. I have to force myself to not try and use my momentum to dominate the table...which can work it short but in full tends to bust you. I play better when I am even or down but not tilting.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:25 PM

Admittingly having done this a number of times (HU), I'll shed some light on my reasons.

Usually when I'd play someone heads up, it would be for a decent chunk of my bankroll. I'd be playing way above my normal game where stealing/winning a pot or two would be a nice 'score'. I played 25/50 HU with a buy-in trying to get back to even. I achieved my goal with a big river bluff and quit. I could have won a lot, but I could just as easily lost it back if I stayed.

Some people just like the feeling of leaving a table up. There was a game where I check raised twice in a row, both times making my hand when I did (trips and a straight). When the guy called w/ dueces on the second CR, I figured he'd get the money back if I stayed. I don't tend to change my game much, so the longer I play someone the better chance I think they have of figuring me out.

Aggression generally can work wonders for a HU hit and runner because most people won't peg you as a LAG before you leave HU. Repeat customers are hard to find.

**Note: I went down huge by doing this kind of crap, but I've been very fortunate in the end. Look at it like the BJ system or constantly doubling your bet. Not sound poker at all.

Did this make any sense at all?