Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-25-2005, 01:31 AM

Default $20 - weird two pair I played awkwardly

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (5 handed) converter

UTG (t70.00)
MP (t3280.00)
Button (t4495.00)
SB (t770.00)
Hero (t1385.00)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of t30.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls t60, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t180) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, MP calls t100, SB folds.

Turn: (t380) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t120</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t240</font>, Hero calls t120.

River: (t860) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t2880</font>, Hero calls t835.

Final Pot: t4725

No real reads, as I was trying out 4-tabling. Not sure if people GET reads doing it, but I hadn't. I think my image was possibly LAG at this point just due to the way the cards came out. (I am definitely not LAG, but the table was fairly passive and I'd called several times with marginal holdings in good position, as well as playing a standard game in other spots. I also had bet at a lot of pots, and I don't remember showing anything down. I also had a fairly strong hand that MP had to fold to me to a turn bet similar to this one)

In any event, that said, any and all comments are appreciated. Up until the turn this was fairly standard, but the *vast* majority of the time, my turn bet would be more like T180.

edit: no idea why the converter claims the BB is 30. It is 60.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:22 AM

Default Re: $20 - weird two pair I played awkwardly

I wouldn't mess about on the turn - push into his min-raise. You bet out super weak and he's most likely semi bluffing 9x, or running with mediocre holdings. If he was on a 9, then calling just gives him more chips to draw out.

The min-raise does scare me a bit, but if he flips a set or Q9, say "nh, sir" and move to the next SnG.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:40 AM

Push the turn. How many times before people stop getting FPS.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:26 AM

I would fold the turn. What hand are you beating? Then I think the river is definitely check fold. I think the ace was one of the worst cards to come on the river.

I would also probably check/fold the flop.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would fold the turn. What hand are you beating? Then I think the river is definitely check fold. I think the ace was one of the worst cards to come on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that a bit weak/tight
Old 12-25-2005, 12:43 PM

Yeah, the river is a fold... but I think check/folding the flop is a little weak.

Folding the turn is definitely weak/tight. We've been playing LAggy, which lowers our hand requirements in villain's eyes. I wouldn't be surprised if villain put us on middle pair.

We don't *need* to collect the chips right now (talking blind sizes), but we're going to have to get chips eventually to get a shot at first - I think we're ahead enough here, and the additional chips make a difference to our stack (700 after turn minraise to our 1100 left).
Old 12-25-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Push the turn. How many times before people stop getting FPS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually not trying to be fancy. I don't want to push because I'm not sure I have the best hand. What's his range at the minraise?

Q9, 79, KJ, KT, J9, 88, or maybe trapping with AA/KK/QQ. (with QQ being really unlikely)

I may have pushed in other circumstances, but the minraise set off my "wth" alarms. Naturally, it usually means a hand is really weak or huge.

After the river card came, I just decided he had probably seen me make enough continuation bets that he thought I'd just fold up to a raise, so I bet out again because I'd decided I probably did have the best hand, and he did his best to disabuse me of that nation.

Results below in white:

<font color="white"> I reluctantly called his push, and he turned over Q9 for the flopped nuts. </font>
Old 12-25-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that a bit weak/tight

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that mean?

If you disagree with my thoughts why don't you provide an explanation. A list of hands you beat on the turn would be intersting. A slowplayed AA or AJ are probably the only hands you are ahead of right now. I think a set, a flopped straight, or a higher two pair are much more likely.