Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-30-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Will somebody please get off the back of...

Brett Favre?

Most words penned about Brett Favre this season include words like "washed up," "lousy," and "interceptions." You might see a sentence that goes something like this: "Brett Favre is a lousy, wsahed up quarterback that throws a ton of interceptions." Is that true? Well, let's lay all the facts out on the table. Once that's done, we can go about trying to interpret the data.

Brett Favre has:

Thrown 19 interceptions, most in the league
Thrown 19 touchdowns, fourth in the league.
Thrown 401 passes, second in the league.
Completed 63.6% of his passes, ninth in the league.
Has thrown for 6.52 net yards per pass, 21st in the league
*NYPA is (Passing Yards - Sack Yards) / Attempts
Has thrown for 2714 yards, 5th in the league.

Furthermore, Favre has played a pretty tough schedule. So far, he's played the great pass defenses of Pittsburgh and Cincinnatti. He's played Carolina, Minnesota (twice), and Detroit, all with good pass defenses. He's faced the average pass defenses of Tampa, Atlanta, and Philly. He's gotten to face Cleveland and New Orleans as well - but those defenses aren't flat out horrible. They're a step or three above teams like Arizona, Tennessee, St. Louis, Seattle, San Francisco, Houston, and New England. Huh, funny that, Peyton Manning has played those defenses 6 times this season.

Along with the tough schedule, Favre has had no support from his running game. Ahman Green ran for 3.3 ypc before he went down, and was replaced by Najeh Davenport - who promptly got injured against New Orleans. Favre has been relied upon to win the games, beng placed in touch situations where he has to make a play. This, of course, results in risk taking that leads to interceptions.

Another thing to take into consideration is the injury of his #1 wide receiver, Javon Walker. How great would other QBs look after losing a very talented young receiver?

So to summarize:

Brett Favre has thrown the second most passes in the league against tough defenses, without a running game, a #1 wr, and while trailing most of the time. This has lead to the most interceptions in the league, but also the fourth most touchdowns. His Net Yards per Pass is 21st in the league - but when you're passing 36 times a game without a running game, that'll happen. As attempts go up, yards/attempt go down. It's hard to imagine someone playing in such circumstances with great success; the closest thing to that this year is Tom Brady, who still has pretty good receivers catching the ball.

I feel confident in saying Brett Favre is getting screwed this year. This is very different from years previous, when he was simply getting blown. Favre is still an above average QB and can still lead a team to the playoffs - just not this team, ye gods.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Will somebody please get off the back of...

he has a cannon for an arm. his team around him is ailing. i hope he has an awesome year next year and ends on a great season.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:20 PM

Interesting points you make and I won't disagree. However, I must be listening to different people than you, cause whenever I turn on the Packers I hear the announcers sucking his cock. I hear announcers talking about how great he is, how it's such a shame that his team is so lousy, how resilient he is for even still being out there with all he's gone through, how they're hopeful he won't end by playing on such a lousy TEAM, and how he's still very capable of playing winning football if the Pack would just put a better supporting cast around him.

But...having no one on the Packers, I haven't watched TOO much Green Bay this year...so you may have heard differently.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:40 PM

Favre is still a better than average quaterback on the down side of a HOF Career. But a lot of other QB's have had good years on bad teams and about his WR's, Phill Simms went his whole career w/o a receiver as good as Donald Driver.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:14 PM

Sammy,

I was talking mostly of some of the print media and general opinion.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:34 PM

And anyway, are interceptions anything new for Brett Favre? All I see is a guy pushing to go down in history as the best QB ever, if he's not already.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And anyway, are interceptions anything new for Brett Favre? All I see is a guy pushing to go down in history as the best QB ever, if he's not already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah. There are at least two guys better. But, yes, I think Favre > Bollinger.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:44 PM

JoA,

Football Outsiders has Favre ranked as the tenth best quarterback this year in terms of defense adjusted points above replacement (DPAR). Although he isn't lighting up NFL defenses, he most certainly is not washed up.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Will somebody please get off the back of Brett Farve

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah honestly people need to make room for all the Bears defenders that will be on his back this sunday. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 12:15 AM

My biggest problem with Farve is all the knobslobbing that goes on during his games. I'm not saying he sucks, but I hate hearing "He's making mistakes because his team around him isn't that good and he's trying to do it all by himself". (This is a quote from Aikman last week, paraphrased). If a guy makes a mistake, point it out, but don't blame his cast when he throws INTs like the gameender last week. He shouldn't have thrown that and if another QB did it everyone would say WTF is he thinking.