Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 03:25 PM

Default 40-80 QJo bb

i still dont think 40 is high stakes but whatever.

good live game i have QJo in the bb. a donk limps utg, sb who is uberdonked calls, i check.

the flop is AJ9. there's a long pause as they stare at the flop. sb checks, i bet, they both call.

the turn is an 8. sb bets, i call, utg calls.

the river is a 2. sb checks, i check with the intention of calling and even overcalling.

comments?
Old 11-30-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: 40-80 QJo bb

I think you should bet because of utg. When he calls a lot of th etime with a worse hand it makes up for the occaisonal time sb either has us beat or checkraises us.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:31 PM

Did you think the uber donk was donking a T on the turn? I thought it curious that you didn't raise the turn. It sounds like you don't think the donk behind you has an Ace, and it also sounds like he plays bad enough to make a bad call for 2 bets just as often as he will for 1 bet.

Against this field I think I bet the river for value, yeah i'll get called by an ace, but sounds like you'll get called by any pair here.

lf
Old 11-30-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
no1 is going to mind if u post 40 in the mid forum, seems fine.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

plenty high. welcome to the forum [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

good live game i have QJo in the bb. a donk limps utg, sb who is uberdonked calls, i check.

the flop is AJ9. there's a long pause as they stare at the flop. sb checks, i bet, they both call.

[/ QUOTE ]

so far so good. i can't see checking 2nd pair 2nd best kicker w/ two donks who very likely raise aces preflop.

[ QUOTE ]

the turn is an 8. sb bets, i call, utg calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

id consider a raise on this turn. could be uberdonk picked up a draw w/ a T + his pair (highly unlikely to be an ace) or maybe two pair. getting 3 bet would suck but what does the donk behind you have? looks like a 9 could be out there or another jack that maybe hit two pair. raising allows you to take a free showdown or value bet the river vs. the donkey small blind and gives you position on that all important street.

you dont give the other donk an opportunity to make a bad turn call but getting 5:1 if you call then he's not going to make huge mistakes either way. but some of the mistakes he COULD make if you call and then call river may be big enough to warrant a call...it depends on how aggressive thses donks are. do you win enough if you raise and call a 3 bet and a river bet (would he do this w/ T+pair?)?

[ QUOTE ]

the river is a 2. sb checks, i check with the intention of calling and even overcalling.

comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

turn and river i may play exacly opposite. id probably raise the turn and bet the river when checked to. as you played it, you definately have to call 1 and fold for 2 on the river. but vs. two donks i think there is enough value here to bet and be called by worse jacks or 8s or 9s that itsprobably worth a bet.

Barron
Old 11-30-2005, 03:47 PM

Are you checking to induce a bet from a missed draw or because you are genuinely worried that you may not have the best hand? I think their most likely hands are worse than yours (pair + straight draw or even just a 10) and they may just call a bet from you with a 9 or a worse jack. I really don't get checking and calling here but in LA the idiots are much different than the kind I play against.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:53 PM

"Are you checking to induce a bet from a missed draw"

yes
Old 11-30-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Are you checking to induce a bet from a missed draw"

yes

[/ QUOTE ]

but it looks like sb is willing to call w/ a worse hand. so you're giving up that value for some uncertain outcome depending on a bet by inpositionDonk where he has shown no aggression at all in the hand. id expect a check from him more than a bet and maybe a call from a hand that hit the turn card (gambler) or a hand that is made but worse than yours

Barron
Old 11-30-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
40 is mid stakes. high stakes is 80 and above.

on this hand i think you will gain a little more value by betting. it looks like no one has an ace, and you might get called by any pair from one of these guys according to your descriptions. i think that way gives you more value than inducing a bluff and i agree you should not fold.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:15 PM

With only one overcard to your queen (let's disregard the ace on this hand) I think calling on the turn is OK. I don't know why you checked on the river.