Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Trivial LO8 AAxx PF hand

Playing AAxx hands in limit is still one of the toughest spots for me. Though this is a pretty ordinary hand, I just want to know what the "correct" play here is.

The PF action is what I'm questioning. I looked at my screen and saw a monster hand AA2Tss and raised without even thinking about the situation. But a bit later I started thinking about what Cappaletti said in his book, about 'pushing' and 'pulling', and since my hand is obviously very strong, should I just be calling here to induce others to come along?

One reason for raising here might be that there's only 1 player (plus the blinds) behind me, so by raising I maximise my gain against MP1. How does it change if I have 3-4 players still behind me?

Ultimate Bet 2/4 Omaha/8 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 3.75 BB
Old 11-29-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Trivial LO8 AAxx PF hand

It's hard to the answer the question without knowing anything about the players to act after you. But I think, on average, you need to raise. Nothing wrong with everyone after you folding and improving your chances for a scoop with your Aces. And similarly there is nothing wrong with everyone calling and building a monster pot that you might be able to scoop.

Also, I don't get the river check at all. Bet and try to take the whole thing. He doesn't have a flush. With your aces, he probably does not have nut low. So he's either on something like 2-3, or maybe a 2-pair that might be folded to a bet.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:19 PM

Preflop: It depends on how the table has acted. This is a hand (double suited aces and nut low) where you want to get more money in the pot, but you dont want it at the expense of losing a lot of players. If the table is tight/passive, Id probably flat call here. If the table folds to 2 bets rarley, then I would make the raise. In a typical 2/4 game id probably raise.

Flop: Standard.

Turn: Fine.

River: Lead out every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Why the check? It is always worth value betting here, even if you think most of the time you will only split.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:01 PM

The raise sure looks better than smooth-calling before the flop on this hand to me.There's a good section on handling AA pre-flop in Super System 2,beginning on pg.308 in the Omaha hi-lo section.Good luck to you.Ben
Old 11-29-2005, 10:23 PM

preflop is an easy raise. your hand is only strong postflop if you push it, by playing board like this aggressively. if you're going to go into weak-tight mode, AA isn't going to be any better than A2 multiway. plus, AA2x is even easier to play heads-up because it's an obvious 2-way hand that is hard to scoop and easy to play aggressively.

bet the turn. you are heads up, and your hand is still strong despite the obvious scare cards. you will 3/4 or scoop at SD more often than you realize.

super easy river value bet.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:50 AM

This is a perfect example I think of why you want to raise this hand preflop.

You eliminated the hands of people that would have backed into the diamond flush.

I don't actually hate the turn check. Sometimes I would bet here, sometimes I would check.

But when he checks the river, you MUST MUST MUST bet this hand.

Will he call? Probably not. But why take a chance on someone holding a couple low diamonds backing into the high side. Make him pay to see that showdown.

Dave
Old 11-30-2005, 10:31 AM

So the river raise is correct because he'll fold some hands that have me beat, and if he calls at least I'm getting half of the pot back?