Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: AA on xyy board (WA/WB?)

[ QUOTE ]
You pick up AA in MP and raise. BB calls. No read on BB.

Flop comes 55Tr. BB leads into you with a bet (1/2 pot to pot). You call.

Turn is a 2, making the board 55T2r. What do you do if

a) Villain bets again.
b) Villain checks.

My line would be a) call, and b) check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel that this depends on your read of your opponent, if you've got any. If he'll make a crying call with a T (and lots of people I play with will,) I'm betting.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:12 PM

So, I guess I must be nuts because I think my move here would be to raise in hand 1. I'd be more than happy to take down this pot, or to see if I'm beat and move on. Preflop, if the action is Hero raises, villain calls, I'd expect to see broadway cards, or decent pocket pairs in my villain's hand. Basically, we're WB in only two situations: Villain was fortunate enough to pick up 1010, and flopped a monster, or, villain's playing hands like A-rag into raised pots. I think I give less credit to the latter situation, and would fathom the former.

Nobody can see a villain calling a flop raise with overpairs? Or dare I say a flush draw? Or even A10?

If I raise and villain pushes, well I know exactly where I am, and I fold.

Comments? Critiques?
Old 11-19-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We know that raising in WA/WB situations is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

not if the probability of you being WA is higher and he will pay off with his weaker holdings.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not if the probability of you being WA is higher and he will pay off with his weaker holdings.

[/ QUOTE ]

This ties in with my 2nd hand example, with AA on a 444 flop. Basically here we just value bet all the way, since the probability of us being WA is much larger than us being WB.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:56 PM

i think in harrington's book he describes XXX the best flop for aces and then after that its XXY..
imo it would be a mistake to assume he has the 5 unless you see that he has a tendency to overvalue suited connectors or quads haha.
you could raise or check depending on the aggro of the specific opponent. If hes the type thats willing to stab again and tendency to bluff, just check it to him and let him hang himself.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So is this the reason that people advocate raising here, instead of just calling?
Old 12-01-2005, 03:24 PM

I played a hand in a similar situation where I held AA and the board came TTJ in a NL25 game.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO ($50.20)
Button ($30.05)
SB ($9.50)
BB ($14.09)
UTG :#A500AF(Villain)/ ($40.70)
UTG+1 ($30.80)
MP1 ($33.90)
Hero ($33.35)
MP3 ($28.90)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
UTG :#A500AF(Villain)/ calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG :#A500AF(Villain)/ calls $0.75.

Flop: ($2.35) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $0.75</font>, Hero calls $0.75.

Turn: ($3.85) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, Villain calls $2.

River: ($11.85) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $10</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $21.85

I didn't have a good read on the villain as I had just recently joined the table. I was sure I had the better hand, however given the river bet, that set off some alarms. Looking back at this hand I think I should have raised a bit more on the turn to figure out where I was at, perhaps to around $5-$6. But if he smoothed call, and bet $10 on the river, what then?

After playing a few more orbits at the table I'm still not sure whether I had the best hand or not. Villain seems to play the flop aggressively, half of the time he has a made hand, and the other half it is a bluff attempt. Given the information I had during this hand, did I make the right moves?