Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Re: what are the mets thinking?

I hope the Mets can obtain Delgado. We need a first baseman and a big bat and he carries way less baggage than Ramirez.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:15 AM

"will someone please explain to me why the mets would trade cameron for nady?"

To dump payroll, to make room for Manny, to set up a future trade.

This move will make the Mets better, we know they can't get any worse
Old 11-19-2005, 11:16 AM

Mike Cameron is not barely above average. Cameron is a premiere CF with outstanding defense. He's on the level of a guy like Sheff.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mike Cameron is not barely above average. Cameron is a premiere CF with outstanding defense. He's on the level of a guy like Sheff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think you're being sarcastic. This puzzles me.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think you're being sarcastic. This puzzles me.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a career .249 hitter with 179 HR's over 10 years and hit a career high .273 last year before his season ended after 75 games. How you can compare that to a guy like Sheffield that's very possibly going to be in the HOF is beyond any argument that a reasonable human being could make.

If you want to say he was a defensive pickup, then that's fine, but dont be ridiculous. Yes, he has two gold gloves, but he's also 33 and is coming off a major injury. Just seems like a bad trade for a team that should be trying to get some offense after last year's putrid offensive production (and with the probable loss of Brian Giles).
Old 11-20-2005, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Better question is, what are the Padres thinking? Lets see, lets trade a young guy with a bunch of upside and a very low salary for an old guy that is barely better than average with a very high salary. Is Isiah Thomas running the Padres now?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Padres are thinking let's get rid of this nag Xavier Nady for a gold glove center fielder with power and speed to patrol the spacious Petco outfield.

This was a very good move by the Padres. It will improve thier defense, which will improve thier pitching, which is how they are going to win games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause pitching won them games last year. You can't win games if you don't score runs. I think this trade is a sign the padres don't want to win. Lets trade a young cheap prospect for a old, overpaid outfielder who will be skiddish when he hears footsteps in the outfield there again.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:21 AM

he's been worth in area of 2 wins worth of defense in CF per season. that's a lot. he's also played in 2 pretty tough pitcher's parks, which will now be 3 [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2005, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me put it to you this way.

Cameron is worth about, oh, 15 runs above average in the outfield. Sheffield is worth about, oh, -10. This is from UZR, what the Cards use for measuring defense. Numbers approximated because we're dealing with small samples here, but over the course their careers, Cameron's been outstanding and Sheff's a butcher.

Sheff was worth, last year, about 32 runs above the average right fielder. Cameron was worth around 19.

Don't expect age to effect the OF Defense of the top guys too much. Age hurts the D, but not as much as it will a place like SS, where it just destroys defense. Cameron is still a very good centerfielder, while guys like Manny and Sheff gets passes for being so bad in the field.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sheff was worth, last year, about 32 runs above the average right fielder. Cameron was worth around 19.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cite? Sheffield played in twice as many games as Cameron last year, so you're saying that Cameron was a significantly better player on a per game basis. I don't believe you.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:59 PM

Nady also can play first with Jacobs if Delgado doesn't come over.