Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-02-2005, 01:50 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: DERB

[ QUOTE ]
What you ignore Dcifir, is that as goofy and internetty as this is- each forum does creat a sense of community. I think that's not as strong here as in micro, HUSH, SS, but it does exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

totally true, and it's hanging on by a thread. crap like this is stomping on it - the idea of the action being taken moreso than the target of the action.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

and i'll start:

having played with DERB for a long time now, from experience I'd say there is virtually no question he is a very strong winning player.

I have noticed that DERB's VPIP has dropped and his AF has remained constant from the 30/60 game Ive played with him to the higher limit ones. DERB used to be 29 or 30vpip and has dropped a %point to 27-28.

DERB still, however, seems to call down with hands that just can't win. ever. I think he does this to prevent ever getting bluffed out of the pot. but eventually he should adjust if he is as good of a player as the rest of his game indicates.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

The only part of his game that appears to be good is his pre-flop play, because post-flop it looks like he missed Hand-Reading 101. It's bet-bet-bet and raise-raise-raise and hope everyone folds, or, call down or keep raising when hopelessly behind and lose a ton of bets. No big deal though, he'll then get back when they go back to fold-fold-fold.

I think you could give a monkey his starting hand chart, tell him to bet when checked to and never to fold any pair, and he could have similar success - at least that's my suspicion anyway.

There is no arguing that it is very effective, I just can't bring myself to start 3 betting hands that I know are way, way, way behind the range of the guy opening. It seems to work though, you just have to have the cajones to play that way.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:56 PM

I hate to be the village idiot but what is derb's full handle?
Old 11-02-2005, 02:18 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
i know you think you're acting in the forum's best interest here, which is a good thing in spirit.

in practice it's terrible, and you're completely misusing your mod privileges.

trying to shoehorn and direct discussions into an actively governed thread here is 100% lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not quite sure why everyone's giving him such a hard time. I guess it's all a matter of philosophy but I believe that all the terrible threads should be deleted ASAP. the DERB thread may not be bad, but I can understand him not wanting it to block other decent threads
Old 11-02-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate to be the village idiot but what is derb's full handle?

[/ QUOTE ]

It used to be Lojzka but I think he changed it.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:28 PM

Loijzka plays like Erik1234.

-or--

Loijzka plays like steve95

--or---

Loijzka plays like MaxMuller

discuss.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Loijzka plays like Erik1234.

-or--

Loijzka plays like steve95

--or---

Loijzka plays like MaxMuller

discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

what % of the people on this forum have even played a single hand against any of these people?
Old 11-02-2005, 02:39 PM

that's a good way to foster nice discussion.

of the players that have, I bet more than a few have an interesting opinion. It is my opinion that there are some similarities, and all 4 players are big winner in my opinino, there are those that will say steve is a fish, I would argue they are from the DERB is a fish camp.

were you in that camp? should I go through the big thread and quote to point out the people that correctly analyzed his ability?
Old 11-02-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that's a good way to foster nice discussion.

of the players that have, I bet more than a few have an interesting opinion. It is my opinion that there are some similarities, and all 4 players are big winner in my opinino, there are those that will say steve is a fish, I would argue they are from the DERB is a fish camp.

were you in that camp? should I go through the big thread and quote to point out the people that correctly analyzed his ability?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in the camp that said DERB was probably a loser against the solid players who recognize him for what he is, but that he destroys the weak players to a much greater degree than a more straightforward player like myself might.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is my opinion that there are some similarities, and all 4 players are big winner in my opinino, there are those that will say steve is a fish, I would argue they are from the DERB is a fish camp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stox,

Don't take my comments about DERB to indicate that i believe he is a fish. He obviously is a huge winner, however I do believe that his style, in theory, should be relatively easy to emulate.

The strength of his game seems to be his pre-flop/post-flop ground and pound combination. It does not appear to be terribly "skillful" though as he seems to make many post-flop errors when he is obviously behind. I'm also amazed at how low his ASB is relative to his PFR %.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on his play and why you think it works so well.

Thanks,

Nigel