Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 05:19 PM

Default 2 late game Ax push-raises

I didn't feel like I had too much fold equity against this guy because he was such a big stack. However, he had been showing down a lot of hands and I figured I'd be 60/40 against him given his raise size much more often than I'd be dominated.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) wacki's version of bison

UTG (t1995)
MP (t900)
Button (t3310)
SB (t1235)
Hero (t560)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t200</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero pushes all-in</font>

And, hand 2.

Different SNG. Villian has been peppering both my blinds, as well as other shorty with min-raises for the past 3 or 4 orbits. Neither of us has called, or pushed back at him, so I figured to have some FE, but was unsure of how much.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) wacki's version of bison

Hero (t1140)
BB (t660)
UTG (t3355)
Button (t2845)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero pushes all-in</font>
Old 10-17-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Re: 2 late game Ax push-raises

If you don't think you have fold equity, then I'm folding both hands.

Edit: didn't realize you're so short on hand 1. I push hand 1, fold hand 2.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:24 PM

Sorry, I should make it clear these are 2 completely different games. I'll edit the OP.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:25 PM

The second one is an absolute no brainer -- you don't have any FE in the future either -- after this hand you'll be at like 2xBB in the SB. So that's a definite push.

The first one is a BIT more interesting, because you would still have like 4xBB after folding and posting the SB, but I think it's still a push.

The fact of the matter is that in both of these situations, you really don't have FE in your future, so you may as well take this situation where you rate yourself ahead of opponent's range and put all your chips in.

edit: Misread and thought you were BB in the second one. The second one looks to be a definite fold.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:01 PM

Hand 1: This is borderline, and it depends how maniacal and/or self-aware Button is. I ran this through SNGPT's as a Call (because I think you can pretty safely assume that Button is not folding from a Hero push -- maybe if SB pushed he would, but against Hero's stack). The only way this is profitable assuming no FE is if Button is raising a maniacally-wide range of hands. Now, if I were playing the button here, I would be raising things like J9 and 22 and Q6. But if this is your typical Party Donk on the button who doesn't know how to play the big stack, his raising range here is tight enough that this hand is a fold for Hero. He has to be raising with some really crappy stuff for this to be a good push.

Hand 2 is just a fold fold fold. You likely don't have much FE against the raiser, and you've got BB with just over 3xBB. Give shorty the chance to bust out. Fold.