Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 09-30-2005, 01:07 AM

Default Foxwoods 2/4: $10 an hour? (kinda long)

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. A friend of mine is brand new to learning poker. His learning poker has surprisingly helped to invigorate my interest in poker. I had been kind of burned out this year and not played all that much (and, of course, have not played all that well when I have played), but it has been exciting to get back into it. I had also stopped playing live poker and this gave me an excuse to go back to Foxwoods.

He started in the 2/4. For those of you familiar with Foxwoods, you know that this is the lowest game in the house. It is a virtual limpfest. As a matter of fact, it was not uncommon to have a hand where he and I were the ONLY ONES WHO FOLDED PREFLOP! (that's happened about 10-15 times in four sessions!) It is loaded with weak playing loose passive people, a lot of whom are senior citizens. It's an amazing game. I was wondering if it is possible to average $10 an hour in the game. The players are so amazingly bad, but with the high rake, horrible dealers, and tipping, I think it's probably not possible. But who knows? What do you guys think?

So anyway, I've started him reading the two Ed Miller books. He bought TOP on his own and started reading it. He said there was some confusing stuff in it. I explained to him that it was probably a little too advanced for him and that he should just put it on the bookshelf and go back to it later.

So he's read the 2 books and has played about 20 or so live hours and isn't doing too bad. He's down about $1 an hour so far. What really excites me is that when he makes mistakes, they tend to be because he's played a hand too aggressively. This has to be a great sign, as I'd much rather see him making an extra bet or raise instead of checking and calling too much.

There was a hand where he had flopped a set of sixes with three opponents in until the river. The river card came putting 4 cards to a straight and 4 diamonds on the board. A guy donkbet into him and he autoraised. Everyone else folded. The guy reluctantly called. My friend showed his set, the guy flashed KT for top pair and my friend won it. That was amazing.

We have been sitting next to each other and showing each other our hands when we're not in and on the ride home been talking about hands. He's really into this and learning. At what point do you guys think I should introduce 2+2 and get him started into online poker? I think he'd lose it all right now, so I think I should wait a little while.

Here are a couple of hands that I played badly:

Hand 1:

I limp behind four limpers in LP with black 99. Like 7 way action.

Flop 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]-4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]-5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

A loose passive playing lady bets in EP, I raise, two people call, she calls. 4 way.

Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

To my surprise, she donkbets into me. I call, button calls, EP folds. Three way.

River 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

She checks, I bet, button folds, she calls.

Hand 2:

Three limpers, a near-maniacal LAGtard raised on the button (he's raised preflop the last 4 or 5 hands and played very aggressively), I three-bet out of the SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], he caps, we all call, like 5 or 6 way action.

Flop A-3-3 rainbow. Checked all the way to him, he bets, I raise, one player stays in, he three-bets, we call.

Turn Q. We check, he bets, I call, other guy folds.

River A. I bet, he instantly auto-raises, I just call because we are obviously splitting the pot.

Thoughts?

so, is $10 an hour possible? So far my session log is:

5h -175 (see...uh...what had happened...)
4h +123
5h +172
4.5h +30

18.5h +150 +8.11/hr

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts. If this is interesting to you guys, I'll keep it up. If not, I won't update. Let me know...
Old 09-30-2005, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Foxwoods 2/4: $10 an hour? (kinda long)

Get him started now. Losing it all is a good learning experience.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:27 AM

I seriously doubt $10/hr is possible. The rake and slow dealing just kills it no matter how bad the players are.

He may lose it all playing online, but I'm sure you know there's no substitute for experience. Nothing gives you more hand experience than playing online. I was sitting next to a pro last time I was in Vegas that was lamenting how so many strong-playing kids were sitting down now due to internet poker. The learning curve has simply been accelerated in an amazing manner due to how many hands can be played online.

The drawback to playing online is I've seen a couple of people play rather than read. Playing gives you experience, but reading gives you the foundation to start with. If your friend does play online, caution him about letting it overtake his reading.

- Jim
Old 09-30-2005, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2:

Three limpers, a near-maniacal LAGtard raised on the button (he's raised preflop the last 4 or 5 hands and played very aggressively), I three-bet out of the SB with A J , he caps, we all call, like 5 or 6 way action.

Flop A-3-3 rainbow. Checked all the way to him, he bets, I raise, one player stays in, he three-bets, we call.

Turn Q. We check, he bets, I call, other guy folds.

River A. I bet, he instantly auto-raises, I just call because we are obviously splitting the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cap it. If im not mistaken Foxwoods rake is not taken out of each pot...its taken every 30 minutes.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:10 AM

If you are afraid of him going broke online have him start at low stakes. PokerStars .02/.04 has some half decent players (far better than the ones you are describing). He can go broke several times and it won't be an issue. And he can track his stats in PT and move up when he's showing he can beat the game.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:12 AM

$10 per hour is a very difficult objective unless you are in a very aggressive game or you win monster pots without getting trapped. To illustrate, last weekend I was in a very bad 2/4 game where I won $285 in 9 hours. The following day, in a game with four other good players, I made $65 in the same 9 hour period.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are afraid of him going broke online have him start at low stakes. PokerStars .02/.04 has some half decent players (far better than the ones you are describing). He can go broke several times and it won't be an issue. And he can track his stats in PT and move up when he's showing he can beat the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

didnt think about that. thanks, maybe i will start him there.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cap it. If im not mistaken Foxwoods rake is not taken out of each pot...its taken every 30 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

not in limit games.

I just called his raise because it was obvious we were chopping. He rolled KQ. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$10 per hour is a very difficult objective

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe so, but they play reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal bad
Old 09-30-2005, 10:46 PM

Get him started but ease him into it.