FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Scenario 2
Fold 7 36.84%
Call 8 42.11%
Raise 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2005, 10:03 PM

Default shipped extra product

First off what a terrible subject message. I can't think of anything better. I think this thread had been done recently, but I can't find it so...Company A screwed up and sent me two of a digital camera I ordered recently. I'm 99% sure they won't find out due to a very complicated and way too long to type situation. Basically the original shipment said it should have had the camera in it but didn't. So they decided they screwed up and sent it again. I received it, and then a few days later another one came. It's a $400 camera. What's my play?
Old 08-24-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Re: shipped extra product

If they have good service they should offer you a reward for returning it. Seems like a better plan than keeping it and risk of getting caught.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:06 PM

I'm thinking I'd keep it and give it to a friend or something if it's a big amazon type company. If it were just some dude on ebay or a smaller operation i think i'd send it back. Not that it being a big company makes it ok to steal from them, but that was my first reaction.

This is assuming they won't find out, which doesn't seem all that likely, but I don't know the situation.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:07 PM

Call them and let them know about the error.

If they send a prepaid shipping return envelope, send it back.

If they expect you to go through any hassle to send it back, keep it.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking I'd keep it and give it to a friend or something if it's a big amazon type company. If it were just some dude on ebay or a smaller operation i think i'd send it back. Not that it being a big company makes it ok to steal from them, but that was my first reaction.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a huge company, Amazon like.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:11 PM

How was it when you called their service dept? Were they helpful? Were they b**ches? If so, they get nothing from me.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How was it when you called their service dept? Were they helpful? Were they b**ches? If so, they get nothing from me.

[/ QUOTE ]

They were pretty helpful. Basically the shipping page said that the camera and the card had shipped in one box, so they thought I was trying to trick them. Then I said "look at the weight of the box" which was 1 LB and was like "how can a camera weigh one pound?" So then they agreed it was their fault, and sent out a new camera. Somehow things got mixed up and the original one arrived too.

It took awhile to clear up, but they weren't bitches about it.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:25 PM

Keep it and sell it to me.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:27 PM

I had something similar happen to me with a big Amazon-type company. I'd ordered quite a few items mid-November that were going to be Christmas presents, and the site promised delivery in less than two weeks. Two weeks goes by and they hadn't arrived yet. I emailed them a few times to inquire about my order and didn't receive any response. I emailed them again about 10 days before Christmas and received a form letter reply stating that they were having shipping problems and were trying hard to get the items out in time for Christmas. I then tried to cancel my order, but received a reply that the items had already been shipped out and I'd have to return them before I could get a refund.

The items finally arrived on December 23rd. By this point I'd bought a couple of replacement gifts because I assumed that the stuff wouldn't arrive on time. Everything arrived in two boxes. When I opened box #1 I noticed that *everything* I'd ordered was in there. I opened box #2 and saw that they'd shipped me two of everything.

Normally I'd have returned the items, but this time I kept them. I didn't like the fact my first few emails were ignored, nor the fact it took them a month and a half to get my order to me.

I gave away all the extra gifts at a Christmas party I threw on Christmas eve.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:30 PM

In the spirit of this post, I should add as a corollary that if I keep the camera, I would give it as a gift to someone most likely.