Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 08-10-2005, 06:50 PM

Default So, last night I played the Stars $11R...

I had two or three 2+2 players at my table pretty much for the entire first hour.

Is ultra-lag (actively seeking coinflips or even 60/40 dog situations) to try and build a monster stack going into the second hour really the +EV play? I've seen a lot of players dump a lot of money on rebuys yielding a crazy bad $/chip cost.

Presumably, there is value in having a larger than average chip stack going into the second hour. So, for that value, it would be fair to say that spending more to get it would be +EV. However, I wonder where the cut off is.

If I can all but guarantee that I can go into the second hour with 5000 chips for a cost of, say, $50 (0.01/chip), would it be worth it to spend an average of *more* than 0.01/chip to get a larger stack? If so, how much more? 0.011? 0.015? 0.02?
Old 08-10-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: So, last night I played the Stars $11R...

I am new to rebuy tourneys, however because of the crazy play I usually just rebuy immediately giving me 3000 chips then dont play anything the first hour except AA KK QQ AKs, usually i catch one of those and get up to ~4500 chips at break then add on which puts me at about 6500 chips and usually above avg chip stack... that is where i feel the real tourney starts.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:32 PM

I play rebuys lots at the moment, and instant rebuy at start (3000 chips) and aim for 10-20k after first hour finishes. The more chips i have, the tigher i'll play, so basically i'll play pretty loose to get to 6k, then start playing tighter.

Sometimes i do this without rebuying again, sometimes i rebuy 10 times, all depends on the cards really. I feel having a decent stack after the first hour gives me a decent advantage, however im not all that sure on how many chips its worth me 'buying'
Old 08-10-2005, 07:40 PM

Why shoot for 10,000 first hour with extreme risk when you can easily get ~6000 with very little risk? In both cases you have many times the BB ... how much more benifit is the 4000 compared to the extra rebuys?
Old 08-10-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why shoot for 10,000 first hour with extreme risk when you can easily get ~6000 with very little risk? In both cases you have many times the BB ... how much more benifit is the 4000 compared to the extra rebuys?

[/ QUOTE ]because you want to get the biggest stack possible and if that means rebuying 10x thats fine.there have been alot of threads where rebuying can become -EV. but the thought is a quality player will do ALOT better with a big stack than a quality player with a averaGE Stack
Old 08-11-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. The 1st rebuy should be mandatory (as well as add-on) but I am not going to play like the rest of the field to double that bc the risk is not worth the reward. These tournaments are make or break in the mid game, not the first hour.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:02 PM

The guys who consistently go deep in this tournament, play like maniacs.

I've finished in the final three tables probably 10 times in the 25K alone. Almost every time I've gone deep, I've had a huge stack because of loose play,
Old 08-11-2005, 04:11 PM

i want as big of a stack as possible post-rebuy for 2 reasons:

1) i want the table covered
2) i don't mind dumping some chips during the rebuy period because 90% of these donkeys can't play deep-stack poker

the 2nd hour of this tournament is filled w/ such horrible play...you want to cover as many ppl as possible.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:36 PM

I've been 31'st or better three times in the last two weeks and never play 'loose'. I do, however, play selective.

Why spend 200 pushing every other hand when waiting for aces and pushing them will probably still get you called twice?
Old 08-11-2005, 04:39 PM

I'm not saying I go in looking to spend 200$.

But if your not averaging 50-60 per tourney...I think your playing too tight.