Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2004, 02:50 AM

Default bankroll required for multitabling

Is it the same as the required amount for single table play? I like the 250 bb amount for single table. I want to start playing 3 tables, so do I need 750 bb, or is 250 bb still sufficient since variance may actually decrease? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:12 AM

Default Re: bankroll required for multitabling

Generally the rule of thumb is 300BB for the limit you intend to play. If you are a decent player 250 should be enough. If multi-tabling doesn't make you play worse than your bankroll can be the same as if you were playing one table. In the end, it's all one big session.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:13 AM

Shouldn't the variance decrease since you are playing more hands?
Old 10-28-2004, 04:17 AM

I'm not sure why, but players far more experienced than I am say that the variance increases...it's just that you get to the "long term" faster.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't the variance decrease since you are playing more hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

Varience is a theoretical statistic directly proportional with winrate. The only thing that affects varience directly is your skill level and actual winrate.

Varience cannot be increased or decreased based on volume. Yes your swings will even out much faster, but they will still be there, unchanged, exactly the same as if you were playing only one table. The biggest way to lower varience is to improve your skill level.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:18 AM

no but your winrate will probably decrease a bit --> you'll need a proportionally bigger roll.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:26 AM

No, you just approach the long term faster.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Varience is a theoretical statistic directly proportional with winrate. The only thing that affects varience directly is your skill level and actual winrate.

Varience cannot be increased or decreased based on volume. Yes your swings will even out much faster, but they will still be there, unchanged, exactly the same as if you were playing only one table. The biggest way to lower varience is to improve your skill level.

[/ QUOTE ]

No! Variance is not proportional to win rate. Improving your skill will not lower your variance (unless you are a LAG). (The better I get, the higher my variance gets, because I am not so weak-tight.)

The answer to the original quesiton is this: The probability of bankruptcy (losing your bankroll) is a function of your win rate and of your variance per hand. Playing multiple table increases your variance per HOUR, but should have no effect on your variance per HAND (assuming your play does not change).

The magic 300BB rule is based on a typical win rate per hand and a typical variance per hand (and assumptions about how averse you are to bankruptcy). Assuming these do not change because you are playing multiple tables, there will be no change in your required bankroll.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:45 PM

The biggest downswing I ever had was 100 bb. And that's only happened once in 3 years, and I was also playing on tilt for part of that downswing. So if I keep a bankroll of 300 bb, or 9k, that should be enough for me to 3 table 15/30. At least that is what it I conclude after your comments. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest downswing I ever had was 100 bb

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahahahahahahaha [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]