Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 10-27-2004, 03:24 AM

Default Betting on turn when second board pairs

I've run into this sort of situation frequently lately, and I was wondering if I was playing it correctly.

(Party Poker $5/10) Hero is button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG+1 calls (loose passive player) Hero raises, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop comes Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks, UTG+1 checks, hero bets, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 raises...

In my experience, having the second board pair when you have is the most terrifying card. Even more than the top card. With the top card. Usually, even bad players will bet if they have a queen and hit top pair, but will usually only call with second board pair.

My question is this. Is it correct to continue betting against one person on the turn, or should I just check and call on river at this point? I've always tried to err on the side of being aggresive, but I'm starting to question this play, since I've been check raised in many similar situations lately.

Also, if I do bet here and get check raised, can I safely fold this hand? I don't really know much about my opponent except that she seems to play too many hands.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:27 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Betting on turn when second board pairs

since you know him to be loose and passive you can check and fold to a check-raise. if you had no read, then this is a tough situation. I honestly don't know whether betting and folding to a c/r, betting and calling a c/r or checking through is correct. lately I've been checking through on turns like this, so I can avoid the tough decision. This is NOT the way to play the game, and I'm sure my passivity in such good situation is costing me. My gut says you have to bet the turn, and call down with no read. there are only 4 cards that beat you, and it's a great board to bluff on.

sorry I couldn't be more affirmative. It's definitely a tough situation
Old 10-27-2004, 03:54 AM

I may have jumped the gun a little on passive, but she was definately loose. I ended up calling her down and lost to J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

On a related note, I recently bought poker tracker. Although my sample size of 4,500 hands is still relatively small, I have the following numbers for my aggression factor.

Flop: 3.69
Turn: 2.80
River: 1.07

Do these seem right? I get the feeling I'm being too aggressive on the flop but not aggressive enough on the river.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:00 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I misread your first post. from your title, I assumed the board was QQ99. in the actual situation, it's an easy call.

as far as your aggression factors go, your flop and turn are higher, but your river is much lower. This is probably due to you not value betting enough. you're doing too much check-calling and not enough betting. you should especially be doing this at lower limits, because they are looser and more passive, so there are many more situations to bet for value with marginal hands, since they call down with so much garbage.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:08 AM

So do you think my flop and turn numbers seem reasonable, or are they too high as well?
Old 10-27-2004, 04:18 AM

I think that I'm on the passive side these days, so they're probably ok (FYI, my numbers are 3.60, 2.41, 1.57, VP$IP of 15.54, and PFR of 10.00 for my last 10k 3/6 hands in 7-10 handed games)

out of curiosity, what was your reasoning behind your river check?
Old 10-27-2004, 04:29 AM

With his read I'd feel ok folding to a CR, but I definitely don't like checking the turn through.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:31 AM

I am a mess and thought the board was double paired.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:34 AM

River check? I didn't check the river, I just called since I figured I had pot odds that she was on a bluff or only betting a queen aggressively.

P.S. Nice Avatar.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With his read I'd feel ok folding to a CR, but I definitely don't like checking the turn through.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think I'm just getting paranoid because it's been happening to me so much lately. Since I posted the original post, the same thing happened to me with 88. I folded to his checkraise and he showed me that he had made a boat on the turn.