Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2004, 08:40 AM

Default Las Vegas low limit

Hello!

I started to play Hold'em three months ago and I am really enjoying it. So far I'm break even kind of guy online at the $0.5-$1.0 tables and I have never played live, except at our regular home game which we recently started.

Now it turns out that I will be going on a business trip to Las Vegas in the begining of October. I have realised that I really have to play some live poker during this trip, my problem is that I have no clue where to play. I would like to play low limit, some thing like 2-4, 3-6 or in worst case 4-8.

Does anyone here have some pointers for me on where to go? How does the low limit games in Vegas compare to 0.5-1 games on PartyPoker?

Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated!

Regards,
Mattias
Old 09-24-2004, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Las Vegas low limit

Hi Mattias,

Go play the $1-3 (single $1 blind) at the Excalibur. That's where you will have a lot of fun and maybe make a buck or two.

Just don't stand up & scream DAAAAAAAAAA! when you win a pot.
:-)

There are a gazillion 2-4 games around town. Monte Carlo is worth a strong look. Excalibur is an easy walk to both Monte Carlo & the Luxor (Luxor has super soft games, 2-4, 4-8, $50 max buy-in no-limit and even a $1-2 limit game goes at times).

Best of luck on your trip!

Howard
Old 09-24-2004, 09:40 AM

I would also recommend the 3-6 at Mirage.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:42 PM

I agree with Howard and the Excalibur 1-3 game. It's a lot of fun and if you want to explore a little there are several good low limit games close by at the Luxor, Monte Carlo and MB.

There is also a Krispy Kreme right in Excalibur so you can enjoy a fresh warm Krispie Kreme or two and sit down and enjoy a really early morning game which is usually filled with tired drunk guys still there from the night before. Unless, of course, you are one of the tired drunk guys still there from the night before and then you can still enjoy a nice warm Krispie Kreme before staggering back to your room. That's fun too!

Bellagio and Mirage are not a bad walk and it is kind of fun walking and taking in the sights if you like to walk a bit.

Have Fun. Wish I were going!
Old 09-25-2004, 05:01 AM

I just want to express my agreement regarding the Excalibur. It's the best place in town for beginning brick and mortar players to get their feet wet. The 1-3 game is very soft. Another place with a soft 2-4 game is the Imperial Palace. The IP also offers very good comps ($3 per hour), and free sandwiches and cookies [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If you want to get some live tournament action in, then you may want to check out the Orleans, Mandalay Bay, and Luxor -- All of which have popular, and relatively inexpensive tournament action. Unfortunately, the excalibur does not offer any tournaments.

For pictures and more information on each of those card rooms, you may want to check out my website -- www.allvegaspoker.com

Good luck! Enjoy your trip. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2004, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the information everyone!

Is there anything else that I should know about playing in card rooms in Vegas? Is it cutomary to tip the dealers for example? And if so, how much?

:.:: mattias
Old 09-25-2004, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it cutomary to tip the dealers for example? And if so, how much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is customary to tip the dealers (and cocktail waitresses). I almost ALWAYS tip the dealer $1 per pot, regardless of pot size. The only exception is if the pot is less than $5 or so, in which case I will only tip 50 cents.

Even at higher limit games, I find that the most common tip is $1 per pot (whether the pot is $20 or $200). Playing at the low limits, the $1 per pot tip for the dealer, and $1 per drink for the cocktail waitress will add up, but it's all part of the entertainment value.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is where I am heading right now. Good times!

SpaceAce
Old 09-26-2004, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is where I am heading right now. Good times!

SpaceAce

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll third the 3/6 mirage suggestion. Paid for my 4 night trip last spring. Even bumped into a tournament player in AC that I knew. I had a great time and the people were nice when losing their money to you.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:27 AM

Hi brasse,

I just returned from 4 days in Vegas, my first time too (and hopefully a trip report forthcoming), and think you should add the Bellagio $4-8 game to your list.

I played in it for only a few hours my last night there but had by far the worst players I'd seen in Vegas. I also played the IP (tourney & $2-4), Binions, and the Luxor. My guess is that many people just wanted to say they played the Bellagio even though they don't know what the hell they're doing. There were always 1-2 players who didn't know the rules, betting structure, etc. and another 2-3 drunk calling stations. Perfect game. Wish I'd tried it earlier in the trip.

As an added bonus the room is really nice, drink service is excellent, and you may run into a few poker celebs. I saw Phil Ivey and Gus Hansen playing $1k-2k limit last Thurs. (9/23) in the early a.m.

good luck.

-Jeff