Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-31-2005, 03:08 PM

Default $25 Home STT: Bottom set in BB vs huge stack and loose passive

Looking for any advice about my line or alternate lines.

6 players left out of 9
Blinds at 50/100. 5 minutes left until 75/150.

Big stack is UTG+1 with approx 6000 chips.
There's a loose passive OTB with approx 3000.
Hero on the BB with 2300.

Big stack definitely knows how to play well and has been bullying the table. So far I've only played 2 hands in the tourney. Button called off about half his stack vs. me earlier when I had AA. I don't think he remembers that hand though. UTG+1 is aware that I have been playing tight most of the night.

Preflop Action:
Hero has 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 limps, 1 fold, Button calls, SB folds, Hero checks in BB.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I'm pretty sure UTG+1 is going to bet this pot. I think Button will ride along with a wide variety of holdings. The two [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]'s on board make me want to end this hand well before the river so my plan is to check-raise.
Action:
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG+1 bets 400, Button raises to 1000</font>, <font color="blue">Hero ???</font>

Here's where I started to doubt a little. The only hands that beat me are KK or a better 4. I'm pretty sure Button doesn't have either of these, so I figure him for a K with middle kicker or the flush draw. If I stick with the original plan, this is an all-in for me, UTG+1 will fold, but now Button will probably call.

Alternate line that I was considering: Call off the 1000, hope that for some inconceivable reason UTG+1 will throw more chips into the pot. Then auto-push the turn, while being prepared to puke if the turn is a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Let me know what you think Hero's line should be here.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: $25 Home STT: Bottom set in BB vs huge stack and loose passive

Just shove the flop after the button raises.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:32 PM

I don't think there is a need to get too fancy here with 1700 chips in the pot and only about 2200 in your stack. I just move allin. If no one calls, you nearly double up without seeing a showdown, which is still a pretty a good result.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:36 PM

If you don't want to give credit to a better 4 (which is certainly reasonable), then your only move is to push now. The pot at turn will be WAY to large to assume you will not be giving them both the river.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If no one calls, you nearly double up without seeing a showdown, which is still a pretty a good result.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't sure what the chances of Button folding to an all-in were but I think it was pretty low. If he had flat called the earlier raise, then I think my fold equity would've been good. His raise made me pretty certain that I had to get all of my chips in and that I was committed to the river.

I did indeed push but later I was considering whether there was even a slight chance that UTG+1 would've contributed any more if I had flat called and then pushed the turn.