Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-28-2005, 11:04 AM

Default moving from SNG to MTT

has anyone here been successful in SNGs and decided to
start playing MTT more exclusively?

i'm trying to figure if SNG or MTT is the way to go because
until now ive been doing SNG almost exclusively with a
couple of MTT thrown in.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Re: moving from SNG to MTT

I've been a 3 table SNG player exclusively and am looking to play a lot more mutlis. What might be hard for me at first if I were to move to mutlis only, would be the fact that cashing frequency would drop severely. This ofcourse resulting from me not wanting to just sneak into the money. So that would be a mental adjustment I'd have to make.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Re: moving from SNG to MTT

The nature of MTTs is that the variance is much higher. I play both SNGs and MTTs but focus mainly on SNGs for the purpose of building my bankroll and play MTTs for fun for the time being. Once my bankroll has been built up I plan on changing my focus to MTTs a bit more - I just don't have the 100 buy-ins for the level I'd want to play at right now and need to work towards it. It's normally suggested to be able to last 100 buy-ins at the level you're playing at in MTTs. In contrast, that number is around 30 buy-ins for SNG players.

I've had mixed success at MTTs and it's taken quite a while to get any deeper finishes under my belt. Once you do start to get a few of them the return on your investment can be very rewarding. It just takes longer to see this return in MTTs than it does playing SNGs. For now I like the consistency of SNG play and feel it's an easier route for building a bankroll, especially when you consider that I can't play above the $5 level on my current bankroll and stay within the 100 buy-in recommendation.

If I could stop playing above my bankroll I might actually make some forward progress. Damn stars and their 180-person SNGs that I can't seem to stay away from.... if you see me in one of these, come smack me!