Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-22-2005, 09:57 AM

Default Stop and Go or Push?

'Stars $50 +5 single. Blinds are 75/150, we are on the bubble. I'm in the BB with 3250, UTG has 5000, Button has 3000, SB has 2250.

I have been very aggressive both pre-bubble and for the past couple of orbits. It has been noticed (they're yapping at me in chat).

I get TT. UTG raises to 300, folded to me. Nothing he's done prior to this convinces me this is a big pair. Once we've gotten to 5-handed, minraises have gotten common (for all but me, that is). Try to push him off his hand or call??

My decision and results later.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Stop and Go or Push?

Just call pf. No need to push when you have >20BB. And it sounds likely that he has two overs. If he's sick of your aggression, he might spite call and a coinflip here would be bad.

I wouldn't push this flop regardless of what came up, but pushing if an A or two overs hit would be crazy.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:19 AM

no need to make either of these moves, imo. just bet out a safe flop and go from there
Old 12-22-2005, 11:20 AM

I agree with Kev. Good time to slow down and play a little post-flop poker.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:36 PM

If YOU have folded to minraises before then go ahead and jam this. If not, then maybe just see a flop...
Old 12-22-2005, 12:47 PM

I'd likely just call here and let him hang himself a little if the board is right. Sure, you're likely ahead, but TT is not manifest destiny. You won't be thrilled if he calls you with 2 overs. So far as I know about your play, you are better off extracting value and saving chips later if necessary flop on. This is an adjustment I have made recently in my game that I feel has helped.

Stop and go is a better play here with a safe flop, i'd consider it about equal to preflop push with an over though.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:51 PM

TT is not manifest destiny

Having a medium pair is not an excuse for White Europeans to "civilize" the "savages"? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 03:40 PM

Meh, I use it as a term meaning a sense of enititlement to do somthing, i.e. win a pot.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Thanks & Results

The bulk of the responses seem to favor calling and playing poker, which makes sense. I let my aggressive nature get the best of me and pushed, he took a long time and finally called with ATs (what more could I want other than a lower pair?) Flop was 8-6-4r, turn a 4, but the river was an A and IGHN.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TT is not manifest destiny

Having a medium pair is not an excuse for White Europeans to "civilize" the "savages"? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

A-A, it's time for some manifest destiny, baby!! Which one of you poker savages wants edu-macated?