Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Why are people raising preflop on the PP bad beat tables?

I think a lot of that depends on what the qualifying conditions for the badbeat are. On Partypoker it is 4 of a kind 8's or better losing, use 2 from hand.

Which means the only hands that would really help to hit that are pocket pairs and suited connectors. You could in theory hit it with Ax or Kx on a 88899 board (pocket 9's beating K8).

A raise isn't going to drive out any pocket pair 8's or better, and many suited connectors will call as well. (especially if you are raising from position like most people would be). So it doesn't really lower your chances of hitting the Bad Beat.. and it does raise your win rate. So win/win!
Old 12-12-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesnt this seem retarded? You want the most amount of people playing as it increases the chances of someone hitting.

Sometimes I am amazed at the amount of stupidity on PP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? because they will call your raise reguardless. Raising will not deter players from seeing a flop.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A really stupid analogy...

say hypothetically it was raining quarters.... but Hard Copy is offering 1 million bucks to anyone with video tape of themselves getting hit by lightning, so rather than pick up the quarters you run around with a metal pole trying to get hit by lightning while your friend films you.

That's what playing badly and trying to hit the BBJ is like.

Just pick up the quarters.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTM.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesnt this seem retarded? You want the most amount of people playing as it increases the chances of someone hitting.

Sometimes I am amazed at the amount of stupidity on PP.

[/ QUOTE ]

is your post a joke to bait people? youve been on 2+2 for 2 years and you ask this. cmon youre kidding, right?

bwana
Old 12-12-2005, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

say hypothetically it was raining quarters.... but Hard Copy is offering 1 million bucks to anyone with video tape of themselves getting hit by lightning, so rather than pick up the quarters you run around with a metal pole trying to get hit by lightning while your friend films you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I had said this.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I had said this.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 12-12-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I had said this.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

3rd'ed, this was brilliant.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A true classic.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Which means the only hands that would really help to hit that are pocket pairs and suited connectors. You could in theory hit it with Ax or Kx on a 88899 board (pocket 9's beating K8).

[/ QUOTE ]

you can also hit it with 32s...or even 75s (board of 4689T, opponent holds JQs).

not that it's so much worth it to make it worthwhile to change your play...but raising DOES in fact fold out hands that could otherwise qualify.

I even folded 99 one time when the first 3 players had it capped before it got to me. Flop came 998 and I was getting ready to kill myself...then T on the turn and three hearts for a straight-flush possibility....but nobody had cards that would have made the bad-beat and I only lost out on a nice pot.
Easier to stomach missing out on $100 than it is $100k or so.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the only hands that would really help to hit that are pocket pairs and suited connectors

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just plain wrong. Bob has mentioned some more, but there are many hands that can make a jackpot. Any two cards 8 through K, 86o, A3, most low suited cards in SF range that don't prevent the wheel. If you think it through, there are more hands that can make a JP than can't.

The fact that the games become so tight and so aggressive when the jackpot is high is very strange. It can't be explained by people trying to take advantage of the loose JP fishies because the loose games don't exist when the JP is high, as a quick look at the lobby shows a list of $2/4 games with average pots well under $20.