Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Will somebody please get off the back of...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Brett Favre?

Most words penned about Brett Favre this season include words like "washed up," "lousy," and "interceptions." You might see a sentence that goes something like this: "Brett Favre is a lousy, wsahed up quarterback that throws a ton of interceptions."

[/ QUOTE ]

Where exactly have you seen this written about him? Most of the stuff I have read this season has been almost the opposite (its not his fault his team sucks this year, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

While this was spoken, and not written, how about the playoff game last year?

Five yards past the line of scrimmage, he throws the ball up in the air and it's luckily caught by one of his own players.

It was an incredibly stupid play by him, with his team already down. In fact, it had absolutely no upside: it's either a penalty or the Vikings intercept it.

But, instead of blasting him for that, the announcers just went on saying "Oh, look at Brett Farve. You can tell he's having fun out there!". No word on how he cost his team field position (they missed the field goal attempt after this play, btw) or how he should have tucked the ball away and tried to get some yardage.

Nope, it's was all "Brett's having fun!".
Old 12-01-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Brett Favre?

Most words penned about Brett Favre this season include words like "washed up," "lousy," and "interceptions." You might see a sentence that goes something like this: "Brett Favre is a lousy, wsahed up quarterback that throws a ton of interceptions."

[/ QUOTE ]

Where exactly have you seen this written about him? Most of the stuff I have read this season has been almost the opposite (its not his fault his team sucks this year, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I already pointed out the Page 2 article
2) Message boards
Old 12-01-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Guys,

Yes, Favre throws a lot of interceptions. He's still a very valuable QB.

[/ QUOTE ]
There is an obvious backlash against him due to the glowing media praise. Brett Favre can make an unbelievably stupid decision, cost his team a chance to win a game (a playoff game even) and the media more or less gives him a pass. Fans don't like to see guys get preferential treatment when they the screw up. If the media held Favre to the standards of every other QB, then this backlash wouldn't happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Just because announcers are irrational doesn't mean you have to backlash and become irrational yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-01-2005, 10:25 PM

Being a Vikes fan, I don't like Favre, but I will give him credit. He is a high risk high reward type of guy. He always has been, which is why he only won one super bowl. Unfortunatly for me, I've seen him make so many high risk plays that paid off against the Vikes (Think Monday Night Miracle) but now he is paying for those high risk plays. He has nobody to fall back on now and the way he plays in really hurting the team because his style doesn't match that of the resources he has available to him. Over the years Favre has taken advantage of a below average division with terrible defenses (Lions, Vikings, the Bears D has always been alright but they've just been bad), the last NFC North team to make it to the super bowl besides the Packers was the Bears in 86 I think. I think Favre was an above average QB, now he is just average maybe because of circumstance or maybe because of loss of skill. I don't know. He has been the glue that held this team together for years and now it is finally coming apart.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:51 PM

Anyone who saw Brett Favre's two minute drill against the Eagles where he threw two interceptions that were so bad that Jake Plummer never would have thrown themknows why everyone is on his back.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2) Message boards

[/ QUOTE ]

Where credibility is clearly low [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 01:32 AM

Do you watch football? I mean do you really watch it and not just look at statistics? Favre can't get it done anymore and all the announcers continue to still suck his now shriveled shlong.

CREAM
Old 12-02-2005, 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
*** You are ignoring this user ***

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-02-2005, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is an obvious backlash against him due to the glowing media praise. Brett Favre can make an unbelievably stupid decision, cost his team a chance to win a game (a playoff game even) and the media more or less gives him a pass. Fans don't like to see guys get preferential treatment when they the screw up. If the media held Favre to the standards of every other QB, then this backlash wouldn't happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Farve is held to the same standards as Dan Marino. The media is very consistent with these standards.