Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Making Pulled Pork

[ QUOTE ]
Between my vintage Jeeps and my dream smokers, I think I'll be busy...

[/ QUOTE ]

When you get there post some pictures
Old 09-14-2005, 02:21 PM

slamdunk,

Great post. I do have to take some issue though. I am able to make a very good pulled pork using, here it comes, a gas grill! I basically use the method you posted and I have no problems with burning etc. So it can be done with a gas grill. You just have to make sure it puts out enough BTUs and that you have a full tank of propane [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 03:13 PM

I too, have, and have used a gas grill for butts. (gas grill =great steaks !). But the difference between a gas grill/gas grill & oven/ charcoal & oven butt and one done in a smoker is night and day. Like between the El Cortez vs the Bellagio.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:38 PM

It is 2:50pm central time and the roast is on the grill. I put about 20 coals one side of the grill covered with about a cup of hickory chips. On the otherside of the grill, the roast is sitting in a shallow disposable cake pan after being rubbed with a mixture of paprika, black pepper, sugar, chyenne pepper, and salt.

In about an hour, I plan on checking the temperature of the grill with this oven thermometer (no idea if it will be accurate on a grill, I figured I'd get it anyway since it was $1), and while the grill is open i plan on adding a few more chips after flipping the meat.

I will keep updating as the experience continues.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Injection:

[ QUOTE ]
Inject it about 5 cc’s per pound all through the butt.

[/ QUOTE ]

No matter how good this advice is, this is all that OOT will remember.

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 09-15-2005, 06:26 PM

Good lord I love pulled pork.

GoT
Old 09-15-2005, 06:40 PM

After one hour, the grill was 300 degrees..just..wow. Added a few more chips. Flipped it. Hour later flipped again, and grill was down to 250. Meat temp. was 140. Depending on temp, next time I check it I may have to add a few more coals.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:51 PM

For any decent sized pork shoulder you want eight hours+. If the meat doesn't try to fall apart as you take it out of the heat, it needs more time.

When we make pulled pork, we actually mince it rather than pull it.

We use a cleaver and a clean wooden chopping block. Before taking the meat out, take some sort of jar with a top that can have holes poked in it (a lot of juices come this way). Clean the jar, fill it with about an inch of black pepper, an inch of salt, and fill the rest up with vinegar.

Put a small dish next to the chopping block and fill it with finely crushed red pepper.

While chopping the meat, liberally douse it with the vinegar/salt/pepper combination and sprinkle with red pepper to taste.

Mmmm mmm. I think I'll make some this weekend.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:55 PM

This piece of piggy is only 4.5 lbs, as opposed to many recipies which discuss 7-8 lb. roasts.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:58 AM

Well, more than 4 hours would have been fine enough to wait for me, but my guests grew impatient, so I ended up throwing the meat in a 350 degree oven (with the potato wedges I was already baking) for about an hour and a half.

After about a total of 5 and a half hour baking time, the temp reached somewhere between 170 and 180 degees, and I pulled it out out of the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes, then pulled it apart (and like good ribs, it fell right off the bone).

So here's the verdict.

Skinny hot chick roommate who sucks (not litterally): she was negative about "smoked" food, so I prepared for her a hamburger..on the same coals (with hickory) that I was cooking the pork on. She thought the hamburger (despite being thawd grossly quickly, against any food handler reccomendation), was GOOD. I DEMANDED that she took a pinchful of the pork, which she thought would taste like ass all along, and she said "mmm, its okay...mmmm." It is suprising how much negative thoughts can truely affect you're psych, but that's for another topic, draw your own conclusions...

Me: I thought the rub had too much paprika in it, which caused the "spice" to outway the "natural" taste of the meat. Overall though, it was a better taste then if I had just cooked it in the oven exclusively. I was very satisfied.

Guest #1: Thought it was good. His idea of "great cuisine" is his roommate (aka his sister) cooking alfredo sauce out of a jar with noodles and chicken. Thought it was spicy and unique. (he had two sandwiches). Thought it was too salty, and I agree, due to the fact that hormel (the folks from MN who make spam) pump their pork with a sodium phosphate based solution to increase shelf life.)

Guest #2: He is a member of the WSU (Winona State University, shameless name drop...I'm a classmate of WSUChica..oh..hey Katie) tennis team, that lives in a house with other tennis players, and his diet consists mostly of canned food. He had three LARGE sandwiches of pulled pork, in addition to consuming most of the potato wedges I had baked in the oved (don't worry, he will get me back in cans of Old Milwaukee). The fact that he LOVED the food that I had prepared made me truely pleased, almost to tears. He disagreed with me about the paprika content, as he likes food to have that "very very spicy kick" to it.

Overall, I consider this project to be a success, and will do it again. If only I had the money to purcahse a large stand alone smoker....

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.