Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Recommend a computer game (PC)

Games I like:

* Everquest. I played this way to much for way to long. I stopped about a year ago. I played some World of Warcraft and Everquest 2. Couldn't get into them. Don't think I'm looking for the super time commitment of another one of these just yet.

* Empire Earth. Probably played more of this RTS than any other (though Starcraft was probably close.) I like RTS games, but sometimes all the clicking makes my mouse hand start hurting like hell.

* Battlefield 2. My most recent acquisition. Very fun game, though just logging on as some random guy playing with a bunch of other random people means I'm probably missing some of the more intense tactical elements of the game. I'm also in my mid thirties, which means I simply can't match the reflexes of most 18 year olds (not that mine are horrid though).

* Poker. Love poker. On a bit of a hiatus to recharge the batteries.

* Warcraft 3. Loved the team versus team play in this one.

* Civilization 1 and 3. Played way too much of these games. Only complaint was the tedium of the middle/end game.

* Half-life. Loved the single player game + single player expansions. Never could get into multiple player variants.

I have a decent system, should be able to run anything available fairly well.

What should I buy?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Recommend a computer game (PC)

[ QUOTE ]
Half-life. Loved the single player game + single player expansions. Never could get into multiple player variants.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
* Half-life. Loved the single player game + single player expansions. Never could get into multiple player variants

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you played HL2?

Other suggestions-
Pirates!
Vampire: Redemption
GTA:SA
Old 08-24-2005, 05:39 PM

Check out Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War. A RTS that came out last year, it's reminiscent of Warcraft 3 and Starcraft. It's heavily weighed towards online multiplayer though, so if you are looking for single player campaign stuff there isn't that much there. Sometime next month look for Shattered Union, another RTS set in a modern day second U.S. civil war. It looks promising. Then there's of course Ages of Empire 3 to look forward to.

If you haven't looked at them yet take a peak at Doom 3 and Half Life 2. Both are pretty neat as far as FPS goes.

I can't give you much advice for online RPG, as I don't play these.

Swede
Old 08-24-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
* Half-life. Loved the single player game + single player expansions. Never could get into multiple player variants

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you played HL2?

Other suggestions-
Pirates!
Vampire: Redemption
GTA:SA

[/ QUOTE ]

Brother had a copy of HL2 he was showing me. Looked fantastic, didn't make me want to run out and buy a copy though. At least the level he was on looked amazingly frustrating - of course, he might just suck at it.

Played the original Pirates! when it came out, loved it. Read that the sequel was repetitive though. Is it fun enough to overcome?

Vampire: Redemption. Is this anything like Vampire: Masquerade? I played that one, and I *think* I remember liking it, all though it seemed pretty short.

GTA - played the original when it came out. Couldn't get into the thug life.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:48 PM

HL2 does have some frustrating areas- buy the strat guide and it will help you past the hair-pulling parts.

I played the original Pirates! constantly in my youth. I think the new version is just as good, with some nice new features. Well worth the investment, IMHO.

Vampire: Redemption is the sequel to The Masquerade. It is a FAR superior game to the first game. It uses the HL2 engine, so it looks fantastic, and it is very well written as well. Many people play through it several times to see how it plays with different character types.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:53 PM

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2
Call of Duty and expansion
Old 08-24-2005, 10:08 PM

If you like immersive RPG games, with lots of stuff to do in them, try Morrowind. A bit old, but top notch still. I just recently started over on it myself.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you like immersive RPG games, with lots of stuff to do in them, try Morrowind. A bit old, but top notch still. I just recently started over on it myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just bought Morrowind myself, and I can't get into it. It mostly has to do with the combat system. Also, the Fed Ex type quests can be kinda boring... It's almost like playing in a MMORPG in single player mode. I prefer my sing player RPGs to have more of an epic storyline, a la Final Fantasy.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:27 PM

Bought Morrowind when it came out. Liked it well enough, but I find I like just a bit more plot mixed in.

I like the RPG genre quite a bit. Wasteland, Fallout, and Betrayal of Krondor probably be the highpoints that I've played for single player RPG. Vampire sounds promising...