Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What should I do?
Print out 2+2 threads from posters quitting their jobs and leave them on the office printer for him to “accidentally” find. 9 14.75%
Have his next bonus direct-deposited to a Neteller account. 3 4.92%
Tell him “confidentially” that the co-worker he hates the most is “crushing” the online poker games and might be able to quit and “go pro” by the end of the summer. 8 13.11%
Reset his browser homepage to www.partypoker.com and give his e-mail address to an affiliate. 3 4.92%
Outsource his job to India and give him a few 2+2 books as a going away gift from his “friends and colleagues”. 9 14.75%
Stop wasting my time at work posting to poker message boards and take a pro-active role in improving my employees’ morale and advancing their careers by scheduling one-on-one and group development sessions and by becoming a true mentor who will enable my 10 16.39%
Learn to beat the 30/60 before my boss decides to outsource my job to India and give me a few Phil Hellmuth books as a going away gift from my “friends and colleagues”. 19 31.15%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2005, 12:44 AM

Default Re: would you go for the ride?

[ QUOTE ]
It looks incredibly fun. Just how likely is it that I'm going to die?

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard/read somewhere that when the shuttle was originally designed, someone calculated the chance of having a catastrophic failure on any given flight to be around 1 in 75. Given the shuttles track record, that figure probably isn't far off.

My initial gut response was "hell yeah I'd take that ride" Upon reflection I think I would have gone on the very first launch(kinda of a trailblazing thing), but for some routine launch - I'd rather get better than 1 - 75.

Stu
Old 08-23-2005, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard/read somewhere that when the shuttle was originally designed, someone calculated the chance of having a catastrophic failure on any given flight to be around 1 in 75. Given the shuttles track record, that figure probably isn't far off.

My initial gut response was "hell yeah I'd take that ride" Upon reflection I think I would have gone on the very first launch(kinda of a trailblazing thing), but for some routine launch - I'd rather get better than 1 - 75.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

113 total shuttle flights, 2 "accidents" so, 1:56.5?

looks like a fold pf to me...
Old 08-23-2005, 03:45 AM

No question... yes all the way. I'd go tomorrow if they'd let me.

I applied at NASA a few years back, but was turned down at the time because I had had LASIK surgery. They like 20/20 vision, but aren't sure of the long term or zero-G effects of it yet (at least not sure enough of it for NASA). So I was turned down, but told to reapply later on down the road if/when they decide LASIK is ok. With the potential coming up for getting to space without NASA, I'm not sure I'll reapply... we'll have to see.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:51 AM

who are all the sandy vag's that say no? i would repeatedly go up in that thing as many times as possible
Old 08-23-2005, 04:47 AM

yes
Old 08-23-2005, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

113 total shuttle flights, 2 "accidents" so, 1:56.5?

looks like a fold pf to me...

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when is 113 flights even a sample size?

You play poker? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2005, 05:24 AM

If I could walk on the moon, then yes.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:57 AM

Remember this is post-1970 NASA. The really smart and ambitious scientists all got jobs in the private sector.

The guy in charge of your safety is probably worried about leveling up his ranger on Everquest
Old 08-23-2005, 11:19 AM

Engineers put the odds of catestrophic failure at 1:100. Management put the odds of failure at 1:100000.

At least, that's according to Richard Feynman , who served on the commission investigating the Challenger explosion.

The shuttle has been a giant purposeless waste of money.

I am all for space exploration and I am all for manned space flight. But, I would have vastly preferred to see Nasa fund projects designed to get humans and materials into space cheaply and safely rather than the bloated monstrosity that is the shuttle.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd go into space,

but not on the shuttle.

[/ QUOTE ]
Would you rather go up in the Soyuz?

That's pretty much your only other option right now.