Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 05:43 AM

Default ESPN coverage = ASS, Celebrity Poker Bravo = BEST

I'm honestly starting to think that the celebrity poker coverage on Bravo is better than ESPN's. I'm just talking about coverage now, not the PLAY of course. Phil Gordon is someone who knows what he's talking about and Dave Foley adds comedic touch. Plus I like Gordon's commentary on how to play against really bad players at NL if you ever get a chance to play any. He spots the tells and just basically berates the players so you know what NOT to do. Also, the "what would you do segment" is very interactive for the viewer and all poker shows should start doing this. It will allow the viewer to really get inside the player's heads.

On the other hand...ESPN is SPOILING a good thing with the WSOP. It's honestly bad on every front. How are you suppose to enjoy a game when you can't even get into it. If I want to watch KQ vs. 88, I can just take my deck of cards and fuucking put down the flop, turn, and river. AND WALLA. ARE YOU ENTERTAINED? ARE YOU ALL ENTERTAINED?
You rarely get any chip counts, no hint of what the blinds are, you get confused who raised in what position, and you get NO postflop play. I love how the only interesting hands they show, for instance the magician's K2o hand, they show it in a commercial. And the only hands they show...the action starts with someoen raising with KK, QQ, JJ, AA, AK....
Please ESPN get a goddamn poker consultant in your goddamn booth and learn how to properly edit the goddamn show. Also get new commentators. You can keep CHAD..but put a real poker expert in there for god sakes. i don't know how long I can hear Lon ejaculate over.."OH it's a BLACK 5". Seriously, either he shoots up when the river comes...or CHAD is blowing him, I don't know.
Also, CHAD...if you act like you know how to play cards...at least talk like one. "OH WHAT A GREAT READ BY JEFFREY LISANDRO?!!" This is while Lisandro has top pair of KINGS with a Queen kicker and Ivey's gone over the top of him with a flush draw.

All right, just put jackpot jay in the booth. Get it over with.

I'm done.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:47 AM

Default Re: ESPN coverage = ASS, Celebrity Poker Bravo = BEST

this post made me laugh many times.

bravo indeed. bravo.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AND WALLA.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-17-2005, 12:36 PM

CP stinks
Old 08-17-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this post made me laugh many times.

bravo indeed. bravo.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you prefer ESPN's coverage, where you only get ALL-ins, and rarely get to see somebody having to make a tough post-flop decision? Could you please explain to me why that is better poker television than what Bravo does?

ESPN's final table: 9 players, 1 hour
Bravo: 5 players, 2 hours.

ESPN analyst: Norm Chad...who?
Bravo analyst: Phil Gordon WPT Champ
Old 08-17-2005, 01:30 PM

the first curcuit event was actually decent. idk y they did it in 2 hrs and then the rest in 1. last nights episode wasn't even poker. it was AA vs KK, AK vs QQ, AA vs AK and that's all it was. we didn't even get to see 2 of the players push in. u come back from a break and someone is putting on their jacket, waiting until they can leave the room.

if i were to make the ultimate poker show, it would be:
ESPN's production value
WPT's stats (chip counts, pots size, folded cards)
CP commentary, not even, just get some one that knows what they r talking about. i'm aware that the public is retarded, but if they can handle football or baseball stats, we can get commentators that can to more than talk while i'm trying to watch the hand.

lon is the most results oriented person ever!
"I like this play if he can get that guy to fold" (he said the guys name, but i don't remember who it was)
Old 08-17-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how long I can hear Lon ejaculate over.."OH it's a BLACK 5".

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-17-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
u come back from a break and someone is putting on their jacket, waiting until they can leave the room.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yeah i forgot about this part.
this is great...you get back from a commercial break and there's the river to go. HM LET ME SEE I GUESS SOMEONE IS GONNA GO BUST HERE...LET'S SHOW THE VIEWER THIS AND THEN MAKE IT AS ANTICLIMATIC AS POSSIBLE BUT EXTREMELY CLIMATIC FOR LON. Good god Lon..go back to commentating on Scrabble.

If NBC purchases the rights, I think they will definitely make it better. THe NBC heads-up championship was pretty solid and I didn't have too many qualms about that.
WPT shows a lot of interestings hands and you can definitely something, besides what TO DO WITH KK PREFLOP.

ESPN also has no Shana Hiatt. Seriously, I can't masturbate to Lon Mcheron masturbating to himself.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just talking about coverage now, not the PLAY of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure? I think I've seen players on both fold flopped sets to Smallish Bets on Not Very Threatening Flops.

At least on CP, they make fun of someone when they completely donk out.

The ESPN coverage is just horrible. As many others have noted, the most interesting hands are generally in the Beast Lite commercials.

I would miss learning about how different players stack their chips though (wtf?????).
Old 08-17-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If NBC purchases the rights, I think they will definitely make it better. THe NBC heads-up championship was pretty solid and I didn't have too many qualms about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

NBC did a decent job, but as I was watching a rerun of it on CNBC on sunday I realized the one thing I didn't like about it, WAAAY too many commercials. I often times they would show only 1 or 2 hands between commercial breaks. HU is a different format, but still the amount of commercials was crazy.