Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 11:22 AM

Default Re: You guys keep telling me to play faster . . .

[ QUOTE ]
In general I prefer betting out and 3-betting above check-raising. Betting out and 3-betting conceals your hand more than check-raising because that's such a strong move.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, agree 100%. I bet a lot of flops, from bottom pair and up. Starting to check my good hands would make me easier to read.

A lot of players cant believe you are betting out from BB with 75o when 77J hits and when you 3 bet they still think you are trying to protect your weak 2pair, hoping he is on overcards.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:05 PM

i would 3-bet this preflop first. then, lead out on the flop, hoping to be raised by the preflop raisor so i can 3-bet. if button plays for 2 bets cold, you can be sure that if he raises you on a subsequent street when a draw comes in, that he likely has you. not to say you should ever fold it, but just try to get to SD as cheaply as possible unless you make full house.

cheers!
Old 10-14-2004, 02:14 PM

"wait for turn"

I think this is your worst move as it screams big hand- don't give them the chance to realize what you have- and kills the action on the BB streets. A flop 3-bet could be seen as a draw and earn you a turn raise, but a check-call then check-raise line is a big hand to your opponents.

You also deny yourself the chance to get mad bets in on the flop (when players are more often raising lightly and overplaying draws / semi-bluffing), and the turn is such that you open yourself up to a tougher / more exploitable decison if a straight and/or flush card comes of and there is action (not a huge concern but a concern nonetheless).
Old 10-14-2004, 03:36 PM

Thing is, appears that if I had just called the raise, I get the same number of bets in the pot on the flop, and I have two guys that might call me on the turn. (I don't think I would have tried to checkraise the turn with that card -- too scary for anyone who doesn't have an eight.

In any case, I'm more interested in the comments suggesting I take the lead on this from the flop, and those that say I 3-bet this pf. Going to think about that a little more before I post my response to that advice . . .
Old 10-14-2004, 03:41 PM

I was advocating leading the flop, and I also think a preflop 3-bet is routine.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:57 PM

What would you guys think about check/calling the flop, and then check-raising the turn? Not that I condone this, just want to know if you guys would think about doing this in this situation.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:23 PM

Its ok, if not 90% did this. U have to play in a way that they will think: hmmm, what does he have.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also said that I was talking in general, it's not that I never check-raise. I do it a lot but it's such a strong move that it's pretty easy to read.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how it's any easier to read than a bet. To me, checkraising a preflop raiser with bottom pair or a draw (in a 3-way pot) seems a much stronger play than betting out. When I checkraise I could be doing with with a draw, a weak pair/ace/bluff, or a strong hand. Because I do it with a range of hands, it doesn't really make me easier to read. It just seems a waste to not use the knowledge that a bet is almost certainly coming to advantage.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:17 AM

Well maybe you are one of the few exceptions but most of the time a check-raise means a strong hand. I'm not so sure if check-raising with buttom pair is the right action very often. Betting out is a better action most of the time I think. It's true that check-raising is a very strong move and because it means monster a lot of the time I don't want to tell that to them. That's why I would prefer betting out with a lot of hands and 3-betting with strong draws and strong hands. You also don't risk giving a free card although most of the time the PFR will bet out. An other disadvantage is that when you check-raise the flop, most of the time that will kill your action on the turn. But when you bet out and 3-bet you do get action because they think you have top pair but not a monster because they would never play a monster this way. So you get more money on the flop most of the time, you disguise your hand better, you keep them guessing, you don't risk giving a free card and you get more action on the turn. When you check-raise with a wide range of hands that's fine but because of the reasons I gave above, I prefer betting and 3-betting a lot of the time. At the end you said "It just seems a waste to not use the knowledge that a bet is almost certainly coming to advantage." Just try and see how often you will be raised and take advantage from that. Check-raising just because it's a strong move doesn't make it the best action. Of course you should check-raise a lot too but with a set I prefer playing it fast.

Thanks,

Guido
Old 10-15-2004, 04:26 AM

I have not been playing poker for long and there's something I don't understand in the previous post. How can betting into a preflop raiser with an overpair be +EV? With overpair I assume you mean a pocket pair with a higher rank than any card on the board.

:.:: Mattias