Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 09-19-2004, 02:44 PM

Default How to handle misdeals?

Hello!

Me and some friends of mine have started playing hold'em every two weeks and we are having a great time. However, none of us have played live before and there are some things that we aren't sure how to handle.

Tha last time we met the issue of misdeals came up. What rules to you guys employ if the dealer accidentaly shows a card that shouldn't have been shown. We settled on a fine of 2 BB (for the dealer) and paying back what each player has put in the pot and making the player to the left of the current dealer the dealer for the next hand.

How do you usually handle these things?

Related to this is what happens if a player shows their hand when mucking it.

Regards,
Mattias
Old 09-19-2004, 02:55 PM

Default Re: How to handle misdeals?

[ QUOTE ]
Hello!

Me and some friends of mine have started playing hold'em every two weeks and we are having a great time. However, none of us have played live before and there are some things that we aren't sure how to handle.

Tha last time we met the issue of misdeals came up. What rules to you guys employ if the dealer accidentaly shows a card that shouldn't have been shown. We settled on a fine of 2 BB (for the dealer) and paying back what each player has put in the pot and making the player to the left of the current dealer the dealer for the next hand.

Regards,
Mattias

[/ QUOTE ]

Misdeals happen, I don't see why you are fining people for mis-dealing. By the way, there are rules for cards being shown by the dealer after action has occured and those DO NOT RESULT IN A MISDEAL.

As far as showing hands when mucking, it depends, if there are others still to act, this is definitely a violation of etiquette, I could more of a reason to fine players for this than mis-dealing. But, if a mucked hand is shown, it should be shown to all players at the table.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello!

Regards,
Mattias

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't reccomend fining someone for misdealing. Surely, they get enough crap from the rest of the palyers to keep them from wanting to do it again.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:24 AM

Hi, welcome to 2+2!
Stew is right, breaking a pot back up makes the game a lot less professional and is never done live. Plus, if I were dealing for a pot that I was stuck into and sure I lost, why wouldn't I screw up with the river card or someone's mucked cards and invoke your rule?
Just set up a rule before that any exposed cards are shown to the whole table, and then burned (they are out of play, just put them face down on the table).
If there are dealers capable of screwing things up so bad that the hand really can't be played out (I don't know how), then maybe somebody else should deal for them. The bad dealer would still get to play the button (cards are dealt as if he/she was dealing) during what should be their deal.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:25 AM

Thanks for your thoughts on this. And yes, now that I have heard your comments and thought a bit more about it it doesn't really make sense to break up the pot. But couldn't the exposed cards be shuffled back into the deck again or are they normally handled the way you described?
Old 09-20-2004, 10:08 AM

I played quite a bit at the local card room this summer, and this is how they handled exposed cards.

Dealer exposes one card from starting hands: That card is shown to everyone and replaces the first burn card. The hand continues being dealt they way it should have (but one player only has one card) and then after everyone has two cards, the would be burn card is given to the player whos card was exposed.
Dealer exposes two cards from starting hands: The whole hand is reshuffled and redealt, the button and all blinds stay where they are.
Players expose mucked hands: They are warned and if the problem is persists, will be asked to move to another table or leave.

That's all i can think of right now, but i thought i'd give you the benefit of my experiences. Have fun!

Mark "Riverboat Willie" Nelson
http://viper12873.tripod.com
Old 09-20-2004, 04:02 PM

www.homepokertourney.com has a pretty decent cheatsheet on dealer faux pas.

In fact. We need a topic at the top of this forum that is stickied and basically says "CHECK HOMEPOKERTOURNEY.COM"

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2004, 06:14 PM

I agree!

Download one of my rulebooks. There is a Dealer Errors chart on the back cover.

Good luck, nutn
HomePokerTourney.com
Old 09-20-2004, 08:15 PM

lo, it is The Man Himself.

Let me be the first of many to tell you that your site is an excellent compendium of Generally Useful Stuff(tm).

Among the GUS, I especially like your tourney rules, which have a striking resemblence to my own. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2004, 08:57 PM

This is how we do it at my nanolimit NL home game. This isn't necessarily how it should be done, but it adds a little fun to the game.

1st mistake - you get a warning
2nd mistake - you pay everyone 1 big blind
3rd mistake - you pay everyone 2
4th mistake - 4
and it keeps doubling [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]