Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 10:13 PM

Default PF and Flop decisions with KQs

I have been confused as to my PF play with QKs. Of course this is dependent on position, but when facing players who frequently hold marginal to borderline terrible hands (this is pokerroom .5/1), sometimes position might not matter. Seeing as this is pokerroom, I cannot use a converter, so I will make up the handles for people. (and I apologize for not fixing the suits, but you have to admit that would take forever)

SSHE says that big suited broadway is a strong hand. If the pot is unraised, you should raise with it. It also says to be careful if there is a raise in front of you if the game is tight. So what is my play if I have seen people raising with not so great hands?

Here I coldcalled a raise with KQ [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

PRE-FLOP
5 folds, Villain1 bets $1, 1fold, HERO calls $1, 1fold, BB calls $0.50.

FLOP [board cards 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB bets $0.50, Villain1 $0.50, HERO calls $0.50.

This was a kind of loose call here, I admit. Looking back, I saw a lot of raises with A-crappy kicker. Ah well.

TURN [board cards 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB bets $1, Villain 1$2, HERO folds, BB $1.

I am sure that I am beat here. So I wasted a bet on the flop. Sucks.

RIVER [board cards 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
BB checks, Villain1 bets $1, BB calls $1.

SHOWDOWN
Villlain1 shows [ A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
BB shows [ Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
BB wins $10.25.

So I was partially on target. It was a loose enough game where I could see Q8 calling the raise, but I certainly didn't put the villain on AK. I don't think I should have laid that hand down PF, but was I incorrect to call the flop bet due to my reads?

2nd hand:

On this hand I decided to raise with this hand, as SSHE advises. My reads are not suprisingly exactly the same on most players, they enjoy calling a lot and raising with meh hands. Plus it helped that there were only limpers in front of me.

I am dealt KQ [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

PRE-FLOP
1fold , MP2calls $0.50, MP3 calls $0.50, HERO bets $1, 1 fold,Villain calls $1, 1 fold, SB calls $0.75, BB calls $0.50, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 calls $0.50.

FLOP [board cards 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
SB checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, HERO bets $0.50, Villain calls $0.50, SB folds,BB folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls calls $0.50.

TURN [board cards 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
MP2 checks, HERO bets $1, Villain $1, MP2 calls $1.

RIVER [board cards 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
MP2 checks, HERO bets $1, Villain folds, MP2 calls $1.

SHOWDOWN
HERO shows [ K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
MP2 mucks cards [ 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
HERO wins $12.50.

So were the PF decisions here ok? The flop ones?
I apologize again for the messy presentation, PM me if there is a better way to do this if I cannot use bisons converter.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: PF and Flop decisions with KQs

Hand 1: Preflop is tough. You have position with a nice hand, but you could be dominated. I don't mind the cold-call. A read on the villain would definitely help. On the flop, you have odds to draw to your two-pr/set outs, though it's close and a K brings a pretty rough board. I don't mind the call all that much. Turn fold is standard.

Hand 2 is 100% standard. Do you know why the flop bet is good?